PDA

View Full Version : Soldering wires together help

jennshon
18-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Hi

I'm a newbie at soldering and having some issues with getting two separate pieces flush enough to solder.

Attached is a picture.(in the pic, the two pieces are obviously apart and I do try and get them flush before applying the solder)

I'm trying to create a double bar ring and I can't get the solder to attach in the seam. I'm not sure if the issue is when I apply the solder PASTE onto the seam, if it moves the pieces and so it's not flush. I'm not sure if there is a tool or technique that I can do to keep the two pieces flush.

My goal is to be able to attach wire to pendants/blanks and also am having the issue on keeping the items touching after applying the paste.

Hope this all made sense and thanks in advance for your support!

enigma
19-01-2016, 12:57 AM
If you want to use paste I would apply the paste on one end and then push them together :)

Wallace
19-01-2016, 01:02 AM
I would agree with Sarah (Enigma),

pop some past on the end of the piece, melt it on, then place it on the T-bar where you want it to go and reheat them together. You may benefit from a couple of little pins behind the bar and then push gently on the straight piece to keep them together.

LydiaNiz
19-01-2016, 08:44 AM
Def. as said put the solder paste on before positioning and then position the wires (and if not pins as Wallace says maybe use tweezers to hold one end of each wire to keep them in place), and make sure you are heating the length of the longer piece of wire - the whole piece(s) will need to be warm for the solder to flow between.

Dennis
19-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Yes, as already been said by Sara , Wallace and Lydia, it is essential to keep things in contact when soldering, or they will not join. They will move apart even due to the expansion of the flux.

Just steadying one component often is sufficient, because the other can be pushed up tight with tweezers when the solder flows. you can easily push ordinary pins into your charcoal for this, as suggested by Wallace, or just put grooves into a flat surface to house the parts. You would also benefit from learning to use solder pieces. Dennis.

jennshon
19-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks to all!!

The pins really helped out.