PDA

View Full Version : Closed silver bangle

Josephine
03-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi! I am trying to make a closed silver bangle which is to be 9 and a half inches diameter (which is the measurement around my friends hand). When I made a trial one in copper it fitted after I had soldered it into a circle - but when I had folded it on my swage block and then hammered it almost closed it no longer fitted over the hand. How much extra length do I need to add to get the finished diameter to be 9 1/2ins?
I've never made a bangle to a precise measurement before so am a bit confused- any help would be most welcome.
Thanks

LydiaNiz
03-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Sorry if I'm being dim, are you hammering it into an oval? Or how are you folding it exactly, pictures would help. Cheers!

ps_bond
03-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Quick sanity check - my hand spans around 10"; a 9 1/2" diameter circle is... Quite big for a bangle. Do you really mean diameter, or do you mean circumference?

Dennis
03-01-2016, 07:26 PM
As you see, we all love a mystery, but yes, the journey around your closed fist will be the circumference.

As I see it, you are making an almost closed anticlastic bangle, and find that it has been reduced in size by the process.

Your mistake then was not to take the copper one to its conclusion, when you would have found this out sooner. In the absence of other advice, I would add an inch to the length, make it completely in copper again and see how that turns out.

You will then have an idea of how length affects diameter. Dennis.

Josephine
03-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks Dennis. You were quite right I meant circumference not diameter! Sorry for all the confusion. And it is an almost close anticlastic bangle. I haven't made it in silver yet thank heaven. I will try adding an inch and report back. Many thanks ��

ps_bond
03-01-2016, 08:00 PM
For anticlastic bangles I tend to expect around a 10% reduction (depending on how much it is raised).
Funnily enough, that's about an inch for this one :D