PDA

View Full Version : silver and labradorite ring

sam.k
31-12-2015, 05:01 PM
I had a few hours spare today so I thought I would sit down and make something. this is the result.
it looks like a waterdrop that's in prison lol.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww358/Akkirin/20151231_164105_zpswtjqhmbf.jpg (http://s735.photobucket.com/user/Akkirin/media/20151231_164105_zpswtjqhmbf.jpg.html)
the stuff I'm making is still pretty rough but it seems to be getting better.

Kathryn Harrison
01-01-2016, 10:47 AM
I like the concept your description made me laugh. If you spend more time filling and polishing before setting it would look less rough but impressive for a couple of hours work!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ajda
01-01-2016, 12:00 PM
I like the concept your description made me laugh. If you spend more time filling and polishing before setting it would look less rough but impressive for a couple of hours work!
I agree with all that. I think the rough finish is part of its charm, though I'd probably want to slim down and shorten the prongs a bit. I love Labradorite - Kevin Coates used it for the body of his "Dodo for Mr Dodgson" and the beak of his "Crow for Ted Hughes", part of his "Bestiary of Jewels" collection which I was lucky enough to see when it was on display at the Ashmolean.
Alan

Kathryn Harrison
01-01-2016, 12:07 PM
I agree with all that. I think the rough finish is part of its charm, though I'd probably want to slim down and shorten the prongs a bit. I love Labradorite - Kevin Coates used it for the body of his "Dodo for Mr Dodgson" and the beak of his "Crow for Ted Hughes", part of his "Bestiary of Jewels" collection which I was lucky enough to see when it was on display at the Ashmolean.
Alan

I also like the rough finish but Sam mentioned it :)

I just watched a youtube clip about that exhibition I wish I'd known about it. I love the mixture of jewellery and books!

sam.k
02-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Thanks guys, the next one will hopefully be better!

glitterandgem
02-01-2016, 04:25 PM
I like it looks like snake fangs

metalsmith
03-01-2016, 07:57 PM
I like it looks like snake fangs

Ooh yeah!

Good work Sam; just needs a better finish - or not depending on your intention of how the piece should look - your perogative!

Dennis
03-01-2016, 10:13 PM
It's too easy to offend people on forums, but my first reaction was: that's a snake stealing an egg. Don't blame me... someone else said it first. Dennis.

sam.k
03-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Oh didn't I mention I was going for the gothic vibe!
Ahem... Totally supposed to look like a snake and stuff. Glad you lot noticed it ;)

ajda
04-01-2016, 06:54 AM
I didn't see that at first, but I do now - I love the image it makes of a snake swallowing an egg! Instead of wanting to shorten those prongs, as I first suggested, I think I'd just sharpen them up slightly to look even more like fangs.
Alan