PDA

View Full Version : Latest things Ive been having a go at

joella
30-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Here are a few things Ive been having a go at recently - I did an etching workshop so had a few etched bits of silver to use.
Three pairs of earings were made from a piece of silver etched with pnp paper and for the other two and the wire necklace I just scratched the pattern through beeswax for the etching and oxidised to highlight the etch a little bit.
The tassle necklace was stamped and oxidised, but I had so much trouble trying to get the tassle right - even now it doesn't quite hang right if you look at the left hand side, although it is a lot better than previous attempts. I ended up using beading thread as it was not bunching well with wire. If anyone can tell me how to make chain tassles properly that would be great.
I was so annoyed with myself over the pendant with an oval etched seed heads bit - the solder jumped and landed on the front at the top, I decided to reheat it to melt the solder and try to coax it back into the join, but as you can see I just created this crater instead....oh bother!
The squiggle necklace had the green frosting wheel in the dome, and the bracelet is for my daughter who had one like it in a cheap base metal but liked the style so much that she wanted it done in silver.
I made this brooch, and made the mistake of not realising that the inside diameter of the tube should have been about the same size as the wire going through it, so I will know better for next time.
So, still at the bottom of the learning curve, but enjoying it greatly and seeing everyone elses wonderful creations spurs me on to try harder.
Sue

joella
30-12-2015, 04:56 PM
erm......

Dennis
30-12-2015, 07:11 PM
You have certainly been busy Sue and it seems you are your own worst critic. I like the pendant in image0992 best, as it owes something to Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Dennis.

joella
30-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Thank you Dennis, I think that was my favourite too until I managed to make a crater in the top of it! Such is life.

caroleallen
31-12-2015, 11:02 AM
My favourite is 0997

joella
31-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks Carole, The snowflake in the middle was really wasteful as I could see the snowflake pattern right in the middle of the piece of sheet that I'd etched but couldn't resist going for it, so had a lot of waste around the outside of it. I scratched the dots out from the oxidised dome with a scriber - I was wondering if there would be a better way, maybe masking out in some way instead. Fun to do though.

Dennis
31-12-2015, 12:14 PM
I scratched the dots out from the oxidised dome with a scriber - I was wondering if there would be a better way, maybe masking out in some way instead. Fun to do though.

No. that's a fair enough method, though if your hand is steady, you could also get a more dramatic 3D effect with the right size of ball burr. Dennis.

joella
31-12-2015, 01:58 PM
I like the sound of that Dennis, I think I'll practice on copper though as I'm not sure if my hand is all that steady.

Kathryn Harrison
01-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Wow I wish I were half as productive as you! I like the second piece is it a tube?
A shame about the crater as you say I'd be tempted to drill it out and make another hole I like the wire surrounding.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tabby66
01-01-2016, 06:57 PM
I love 0930, really unusual and stylish :)

joella
01-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Thank you Tabby. Kathryn, if you mean the same one as Tabby mentioned, then its not tube - I made the swirly square shapes from wire and soldered together in a line, then formed into a spiral round a - well, something I cant quite remember, it may have been a fat marker pen or a very thick knitting needle! As far as being productive is concerned, I think something comes to mind about quality over quantity - I loved a pair of earrings I saw on the forum, made from wire with silver balls on them - I think you made them. Good idea about the crater, maybe I could disguise it in some way.