PDA

View Full Version : Economy rolling mill

mizgeorge
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
For those that can't afford a Durston yet, just spotted that Cooksons are now selling an economy version (product 999 AXWA)

Great price guys :Y: These are good entry level machines for the occasional user IMO. The gearing also makes them easy to use for the feeble (like me!)

Sheltie
07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Mine arrived last week, Can't wait to start using it, just been too busy to play however last orders are due out this week so friday has been pencilled in as playtime:Y:

kymbi
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I bought one of these about 6 months ago as I couldn't afford a Durston and I've been happy with it - I'm not a heavy user of the rolling mill so it's great for me and does the texturing of silver sheet that I need :Y:

Ominicci
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I did see that one and um-ed and ah-ed between them, but I'm never going to have my redundancy money again so I thought I'd go for the next one up.

The guy in the HMRC workshop said to buy all my big equipment in the first year as it will reduce my tax liability, and as I have gone into the higher tax bracket with my redundancy payment, I need all the reduction I can get (which means I also have to make a 'loss' this tax year)!

Lindyloo
07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm sure I could help you with that. I need a rolling mill, kiln, smelting set up ... etc., so feel free to spend your redundancy money over here. :Y:

Emerald
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for that post George i know what i am getting for xmas know:)

Ominicci
08-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Ooh Linda...yes a Kiln, because I would like a whole Lampworking set up as well! I will see how everything is going up to Christmas and see what New Year brings. It also depend on what hubby's new shed yields. He is just putting the slate roof on and has promised me one side of the shed (this thing is brick built and 7 x 15 ft - I get a 7ft side with a work top all the way across and a window). But that is only if everything of his from the garage goes in it as the corrugated iron garage is coming down.

CDW Designs
21-09-2009, 01:57 PM
For those that can't afford a Durston yet, just spotted that Cooksons are now selling an economy version (product 999 AXWA)

Great price guys :Y: These are good entry level machines for the occasional user IMO. The gearing also makes them easy to use for the feeble (like me!)

Hi George
Any recommendations to either the economy mill or the next mill up? I am just considering going for a mill whilst the freepost is live. Is there much difference between the two? The economy looks ideal as I am not likely to produce hundreds and hundreds of pieces but want to texture and flatten and length silver wire.......
Christine:-O:)))

mizgeorge
21-09-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not the best person to ask Christine - if I could afford (and could justify) a Durston, I'd get one, though I'd want one with some gearing for sure.

For the amount of stuff I do, I'm delighted with my cheap one. I have a second set of plain rollers for it so I can do wider pieces, as I mainly texture rather than mill wire. If I ever found myself rich, I'd cheerfully upgrade, but for now, I'm quite happy with what I've got!

Ominicci
21-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Geeeeeeooooorge...you said texturing - what do you use for texturing and how do you do it effectively? I have peacock feathers, skeleton leaves etc, do they just go on top of the silver and then you roll away? I've also heard about texturing rollers and brass plates...?

mizgeorge
21-09-2009, 07:53 PM
yep. Just that :) I use a bit of paper behind the feather/leaf/mesh/lace/punched paper/whatever, but it's only to stop stuff sticking to the rollers really. It's worth annealing the sheet a couple or three times (bit of depletion gilding) first to get a really good impression.

Brass plates work brilliantly. The sort that papercrafters use for dry embossing (which can be bought all over the place) or you can use the saltwater and battery etching technique (Becky F has done some really nice stuff with this).

Ominicci
21-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Brass plates work brilliantly. The sort that papercrafters use for dry embossing (which can be bought all over the place)

OMG I have loads of those from cardmaking - some haven't even been used, I just really liked the patterns!!!

Emerald
21-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Ooh Linda...yes a Kiln, because I would like a whole Lampworking set up as well! I will see how everything is going up to Christmas and see what New Year brings. It also depend on what hubby's new shed yields. He is just putting the slate roof on and has promised me one side of the shed (this thing is brick built and 7 x 15 ft - I get a 7ft side with a work top all the way across and a window). But that is only if everything of his from the garage goes in it as the corrugated iron garage is coming down.

they have some great deals on tillerman beads at the mo for a newbie lampwork kit my finger has been hanging over the 'add to cart' many a time just cant quite take the plunge. I already have propane sievert gas torch do i need another head etc does anyone know?

Emerald
21-09-2009, 08:25 PM
i was doing some Mokume at college on day when i rollered my finger great impression but awfully painful, still have the scar where my finger split ..ouch

Lindyloo
21-09-2009, 08:32 PM
OMG. Ouch! Took a fast intake of breath when I read that. Still doesn't put me off wanting a mill though.

Oh, and George, what is that salt water and battery etching you were referring to? Sounds interesting.

MuranoSilver
21-09-2009, 08:49 PM
I think most jewellery folks I know have some sort of "Scar of Honour", like a good cook tends to have burn scars on their arms, lol

Lindyloo
21-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't personally have any scars, but my kitchen floor does :N:

mizgeorge
22-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Jo, if you've got a sievert and hosing, then all you need to get started with glass is a hothead and connector - Tuffnell's has both.

Linda, here's a link for the etching thing: http://www.artjewelrymag.com/ART/Default.aspx?c=a&id=1219