PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have instruction leaflet for nimrod T-75 pro torch?

susieq
14-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Bought one last July and happy with it until this week when the automatic piezo ignition stopped working. Thought at first it was out of gas, so I refilled. No joy, and then realised that the usual "click" which goes with the torch lighting just isn't there.

I know I have my instructions somewhere, but can I find them? Of course not! And I can't find any on the web and the Nimrod Europe Direct web address returns a 404 error, so I think they may have gone out of business. Am slightly wary of just unscrewing to look at the igniting mechanism as it's full of gas. Does anyone have instructions they can check for me, or other suggestions?

Failing this, I'm going to need a replacement. Anyone have one of these http://www.suttontools.co.uk/large-flame-butane-piezo-ignition-torch.html . Thanks

metalsmith
14-12-2015, 09:25 PM
I have a small dremel torch that the piezo failed on quite quickly, but thought it not worth returning it to internetland. I sometimes use a tealight candle - at other times just a lighter. Seems a lot cheaper than a replacement for the sake of a spark.

mizgeorge
14-12-2015, 09:35 PM
I have lots of hand torches with failed ignition systems - I just use a lighter which works fine. If you did want to replace, the one you've linked to is nothing like the PT-75 - it's like a PT-500. The nearest thing to the PT-75 would be the proxxon from Cookies - http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Proxxon-Microflame-Burner--Hand---Torch-prcode-999-7703 - there's a big difference between the two styles in terms of flame size - with the proxxon being much finer than the sievert.

susieq
15-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks both - for some reason had in mind that if the spark didn't work then I shouldn't use it. I'll get a lighter tomorrow.

George - the reason I wondered about the Sievert was that ideally I'd like a torch with a bit more oomph as I often end up using both the Cookies and the Nimrod to solder. Sometimes it's the heat I need more than the fine flame.

Patstone
15-12-2015, 07:37 AM
I use a similar type to the sievert but mine is just propane but it is not man enough for thick silver so I use a cannister plumbers torch. Works fine but watch the silver wire because it melts quick and its a bit roary noisewise. Refill is just buy another cylinder, I think I got it from b & q or somewhere like that, I also have a couple of small refillable cooks torches which I refill with lighter fuel which i use for soldering wires for jumprings.