PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from the southwest

Maree Hart
03-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Hello all,

I've had a great time reading this forum over the last few weeks, so I thought I'd say hello.

I'm very much a beginner, having taken a one term evening class in silversmithing (just finished) but have caught the bug very very badly.

My spare room now boasts a bench (luckily carpentry is another hobby!) and I seem to have aquired a stash of bits of silver (oops!).

I made a little silver ring after week three of my course, and it's not been off my finger since. 8402

and then a set of three 3mm bangles, in silver, bronze and copper. 8403

I think I've now got the 'lets hammer everything to texture' out of my system now and the next couple of pieces were smooth, a pendant and a ring each with a cabochon but I haven't got piccies of these yet.

Looking forward to joining in with the discussions :-)

CJ57
03-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Hi Maree welcome to the forum. I think everyone is busy with their Christmas orders, I had my show at the weekend so I'm having a quiet period. I'm sure peeps will be along to make you feel welcome :)

Unhindered
03-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi Maree,

Welcome! I hope you continue to find the forum as useful as I do :)

metalsmith
03-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Great stuff; I'm looking forwards to seeing more.

Welcome!

Dennis
03-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Hello all,I think I've now got the 'lets hammer everything to texture' out of my system now. Looking forward to joining in with the discussions :-)

Welcome Maree, was it hitting your thumb that put you off? keep up the good work.Dennis.

BarryM
04-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Welcome Maree - I too am in the South West (Somerset)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tabby66
04-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Welcome Maree,.....sounds like you have made a great start....keep enjoying!!

Aurarius
04-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Nice to see your work, Maree. I hope you will show us more.

Welcome Maree, was it hitting your thumb that put you off?
You've done that, I take it, Dennis?
My version of that is to grovel beneath the bench for a bit of metal or a stone I've dropped, then come up sharpish and hit my head on the tip of the bench pin. I've done that several times. As a result of the last occasion when I did it (and left some of my hair and skin dangling from the bench pin) I still have a dent in my head to show for it.

Dennis
05-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Yes and I'm in a constant state of warfare with my bench peg too. Dennis.

Maree Hart
05-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Yes, I've only bashed my thumb once (though the blister took three weeks to disappear) but I always forget about the bench pin and have hit my head hard plenty of times. I try to keep one hand on it now when I'm grovelling on the floor, sometimes does the trick but I still forget it's there on occasion.

Thank you all for the welcome.

metalsmith
06-12-2015, 08:10 AM
grovelling on the floor

Not just me then... sometimes the Mrs worries I've changed religion :-O

TeeDee
06-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Hi Maree and welcome from another South Westernite.
There's a few on the forum. I'm in Tavistock but have done a lot of short courses in Plymouth.

Nice work with the 3mm bangles. I had real problems soldering them when I started.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Tim

Patstone
07-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Hi Maree, I am also a Southwesternite, Exeter to be precise (up near the University for my sins). My daughter and I did a one night a week course at the college for 10 weeks and that was 5 or so years ago. now we sell our wares at craft shows a couple of times a month. You will learn a lot more here than you did at college, they are an amazing bunch, very eager to help a newbie.

Maree Hart
07-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Thank you all :-)

Tim, I'm in Plymouth and love Tavistock. I took a sneaky look at your Etsy shop and love your work. Yes, the bangles were a challenge until I swapped my torch for a camping gaz plumbers torch - not subtle but it got them up to temperature quickly and seemed to do the trick. Unbelievably I had bought that torch for creme brulee - having had bad luck with the little cook's torches not working - but it was so powerful it blew the sugar across the kitchen. Now it does at least have a use.

Pat - I agree about learning more here than at college - I've been reading this forum for about six weeks (late nights going through all the old posts) and it has helped enormously. But I was very happy to have done the class as without it I wouldn't have got started.