PDA

View Full Version : Help for a pentacle?

mochiandmocha
07-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi!:~:
I've just had a bespoke order from someone who wants a 5cm diameter pentalce pendant with a circle around the star, a little bit like this:
http://wickedstones.com/wicca/Pagan-gemstone-jewelry.jpg
I am planning to use the fretwork technique and just cut from a circle (5cm diameter). Does anyone know about other techniques to achieve a pentacle (using wire, etc) and does my plan seem unrealistic for any reason?
Sorry, I already said before but Mocha and I are beginners, so we really need your advice!
Thank in advance!!:)
Mochi

ps_bond
07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd carve it with gravers first, then pierce out the voids.
You could pierce it then sculpt it with files & rifflers.
Or - as you say - make it in wire then build a surround for it.
Or carve one in wax and cast it.

Or... :)

mochiandmocha
07-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks!
I think I'll go for the fretwork after carving like you said (thanks for the tip) and then solder a piece of wire all around it (so that I don't have to pierce round shapes).
Thanks again! I'll show you the finished thing if the customer confirms his order and I get to make it.:)

Mochi.

EmmaRose
07-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Will be good to see. Why not post some step by step photos as you go so we can all learn? Good luck.
Em

mochiandmocha
08-09-2009, 02:19 PM
We will! We'll probably post the pictures in another thread, though (something more relevant, such as in the "show your work" section). By the way, Mocha and I have changed our minds since the first opst and we will do it all in wire!
See ya!

Julie Moss
08-09-2009, 05:04 PM
If you're going to pierce out - a little tip that we teach the students at YSOJ. Put the design on paper - double sided tape on the back. Peel off and stick to your metal. Be sure to drill a hole inside your lines and away you go... cut out then file/profile. You could do the whole design that way but would need to be very accurate on your outer circle. Alternatively, you could just pierce out your star and solder into a ring... but then you'll have to be accurate with your star cutting (all 'arms' the exact same length so centres correctly....).