PDA

View Full Version : Workshop flooring

Paul Townsend
26-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Hi, I have just about finished my workshop (in my house) and I am wondering what's the best flooring to put down (at the moment its wooden floor boards which have been covered in hardboard). I am hopefully going to be doing some casting, as well as the normal torch work etc - I would love to hear what flooring other have.

pearlescence
26-11-2015, 04:14 PM
I've got laminate, which is brill for dropped pearl finding.

MMM Jewellery
26-11-2015, 04:22 PM
I've got plywood with joins filled and a coat of garage floor paint. I'd go for some sort of wood (forgiving to dropped things, less forgiving but ok with spilt molten metal- although it has usually cooled quite a bit by the time it hits the floor) or tile (vice versa). I'd avoid synthetics which would not be so nice with hot stuff.

Paul Townsend
26-11-2015, 05:06 PM
what type of laminate ?

pearlescence
26-11-2015, 05:43 PM
wood effect.Nothing extraordinary

Paul Townsend
26-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Thanks, im not sure how that will hold up if I drop molten silver on it

Dennis
26-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Not many of us expect to drop molten metal, but your best bet is found among these. They could be confined to the casting area. Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=textured+metal+flooring&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=GGxXVoX8Bou5aZbGtPAI

LydiaNiz
26-11-2015, 09:36 PM
I still have concrete with floor paint. Great for durability, rubbish in cold weather, it is *chilly*!

marna
27-11-2015, 01:05 AM
I have slightly ratty (aka lived in) wood strips laid over plywood. With some gaps. It's a bit of a terror for losing stones on.

Aurarius
27-11-2015, 02:43 AM
I would love to hear what flooring other have.
Carpet....
ETA: Dots were needed to make the minimum ten character post. Why does a post need to be at least ten characters?

BarryM
27-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Carpet....
ETA: Dots were needed to make the minimum ten character post. Why does a post need to be at least ten characters?

Because...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Townsend
27-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses so far - I think i may have to lay some sheet metal in stratgic areas :)

Patstone
27-11-2015, 05:46 PM
It depends how messy you are going to be. I set stones, solder, cut and various other messy tasks, not using molten anything though on very expensive carpet. I worked for 20 years for a flooring company doing "take-offs" from plans for commercial properties, and of course domestic so was able to get a HUGE discount, very pale french mustard colour throughout the house (before I got a black labrador) so everything from puppy to adult has been spilt and dropped on it and it comes up after a quick scrub looking great. Not tried burning it hahahaha.

metalsmith
28-11-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking of having mine inclined and teflon coated, leading to a small central collecting vessel :^o

vernon
26-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Red floor tiles in my conservatory.

pearlescence
26-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Lamiate. Now I can find everything very easily

china
26-04-2016, 02:13 PM
I have carpet because that is what was there when I bought the house, can be a problem to find little bits that escape the bench from time to time

Aurarius
03-05-2016, 07:53 PM
I have carpet because that is what was there when I bought the house, can be a problem to find little bits that escape the bench from time to time
Yes, except when something you've just soldered drops on the carpet and you get a nice little fire to light your way to it.

14-08-2016, 05:27 AM
My original plan was to work in our quarry tiled dining room... But for social reasons (aka never seeing the partner again...) I am in the other half's kiln formed glass studio... Thankfully on concrete flooring with light grey garage floor paint...

My workspace is not amenable to a skin so I am for ever dropping things... And struggle to find them... Even on a pale grey floor...

I. Want that sloping floor turning down to a central collection point!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

enigma
14-08-2016, 09:11 AM
In my new house we have red ceramic tiles, I don't like them actually but they are brilliant for finding dropped silver and stones I have to say so am undecided now whether to change them !