PDA

View Full Version : Everbrite protectaclear

ejdavison
15-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Hello, I've purchased some protectaclear, just wanted people's thoughts on application, I will be coating pendants, charms etc little things.
Tia
Ella x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tabby66
16-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Hi Ella,
Can I ask what you are hoping to achieve with the protectaclear and what type of pieces you are using it on??

Hopefully then you will get some more informative answers :)

Jill xx

ejdavison
16-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi Tabby so I want to protect the items from future tarnish and the air basically to ensure that it doesn't go a funny colour x

CJ57
16-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Hi Ella Is this for silver or copper?

ejdavison
16-11-2015, 06:54 PM
It's for silver I will be using pmc3 xx

CJ57
16-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Thanks for clarifying Ella. There are people who have more experience of PMC but it isn't usual to coat silver per se, unfortunately tarnish goes with the metal and the atmosphere. Someone will no doubt come along to advise but it's quiet so people are probably busy with Christmas orders

Tabby66
16-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Ella,
II would agree with Caroline, you wouldn't usually coat silver in anything to protect it from tarnishing, again though I am not a pmc user, so cannot advise regarding this. I would fear though that it would chip or get damaged and look patchy and then make polishing the piece in the future more difficult. Hopefully someone can offer you more certain advice :)

metalsmith
16-11-2015, 07:42 PM
it isn't usual to coat silver per se, unfortunately tarnish goes with the metal and the atmosphere

Its my understanding that it is the 7.5% copper fraction of 925 (Sterling) silver that causes the tarnish. I don't believe you should varnish fine silver (depending which pmc you have). Anyway, Sterling silver is also normally pretty well resistant to tarnish and a very occasional polish with a soft cloth suffices. Save the everbrite for copper.

CJ57
16-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Sterling silver will react to different acids in the skin, perfume, I've seen it go black on some people after a couple of wears? Leave a piece of jewellery lying in the air for a length of time and it will go black. I used to endlessly have to polish the silver cutlery and the precious silver tea pot unless it was wrapped in cling film. You are lucky if you haven't found sterling to tarnish Metalsmith

vsilvered
16-11-2015, 09:28 PM
I kiln fire all my PMC3 at 900 deg C for 2 hours and unless I've intentionally added a patina using Liver of Sulphur, I've never had tarnish problems on any of my fired fine silver pieces made from PMC3.

metalsmith
16-11-2015, 09:46 PM
You are lucky if you haven't found sterling to tarnish Metalsmith
As above, it is the copper fraction that causes the tarnish.

I wear a sterling snake chain pendant and just a gentle rub over with a soft cloth every other week seems to do the trick.

I'll frequently depletion gild silver though there is a consequential loss in hardness it is a trade-off. - even just a few quick heat / pickle cycles will be found to good effect.

Dennis
16-11-2015, 09:48 PM
Unless I've intentionally added a patina using Liver of Sulphur, I've never had tarnish problems on any of my fired fine silver pieces made from PMC3.

Fine silver can be tarnished by exposure to hydrogen sulphide. This is what happens when you add a patina with liver of sulphur.
Hydrogen sulphide also occurs as a pollutant in the atmosphere and is given off by certain foods such as eggs and onions.
This means that your pieces will eventually darken. It can be delayed by storing them in a closed container or self seal bag with anti-tarnish strip, easily available on line:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=anti+tarnish+strips&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=90xKVrWqDcyTafLsovAK

Once darkened, silver can be revived by use of silver dip, or by the electrolytic method. This involves putting some aluminium foil in the bottom of a mug or other small container,
adding some bicarbonate of soda or soda crystals and hot water and dropping in the tarnished piece. Rinse after about four minutes and if the piece has been in contact with the foil, it will be clean again. Dennis.

vsilvered
17-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Fine silver can be tarnished by exposure to hydrogen sulphide. This is what happens when you add a patina with liver of sulphur.

I've been using PMC3 for creating fine silver rings for many years and I have never had tarnish problems where the rings darken in colour, unless I have intentionally used liver of sulphur as a patina. I will periodically clean them in an ultrasonic and/or tumble them to get rid of dirt build-up, but that's all.

When not worn, my fine silver pieces are stored in just a ziplock bag. :)

Dennis
17-11-2015, 01:52 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=can+pure+silver+tarnish&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=YIdKVuvfM4fwaJf6n9gB

LydiaNiz
03-12-2015, 09:46 PM
I used this years ago on some oxidised pieces and some silver/copper pieces where the copper was oxidised and the silver wasn't (using some solution that began ith a B - can't remember for the life of me now), anyway, it is like using a varnish, and behaves as you'd expect - not good on rings as if it wears, (which it will) it looks terrible, better results on pendants, but it needs to be completely even, and still leaves an obvious sheen even when dry. Oh, it also runs like varnish/resin, so even hung to dry, excess pools off the item. Not really good for jewellery in my book.

Dennis
03-12-2015, 11:28 PM
I would never use lacquer on precious metal for the reasons stated by Lydia, but strangely I have read that museums with large collections of silver ware do it. Dennis

ajda
04-12-2015, 09:48 AM
I would never use lacquer on precious metal for the reasons stated by Lydia, but strangely I have read that museums with large collections of silver ware do it. Dennis
I imagine it could be effective on museum pieces because they aren't being handled - and I assume they'd have the means to apply it in a very thin, even coat more or less invisible to the naked eye. It's never really going to be any good on a piece that is meant to be handled and worn.
Alan