PDA

View Full Version : Smoking torch

FineJewelleryandArt
14-11-2015, 01:53 PM
My sievert on propane started burning oil! This oil cames from the tank and is causing problems with the flame, dripping all over the place and stinks. Is this something I should be concerned about? The tank is getting close to empty - can this be the problem.

Help will be appreciated.

Frans

Finejewelleryandart.com

Dennis
14-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Apart from the likelihood of interfering with the flow of solder, it's not healthy set up. It might also bung up the fine gas jet. I would get rid of it. Dennis.

mizgeorge
14-11-2015, 02:50 PM
sounds like you need to give your hose a good clean out (or replace) as well.

FineJewelleryandArt
14-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Apart from the likelihood of interfering with the flow of solder, it's not healthy set up. It might also bung up the fine gas jet. I would get rid of it. Dennis.
Dennis, are you saying that the oil is from the torch? I can understand that I may have a problem with the gas but not why I should replace the torch. I do have the problem that the jets is getting bunged up but once I get rid of the oil I will clean the nozzle.

FineJewelleryandArt
14-11-2015, 03:20 PM
sounds like you need to give your hose a good clean out (or replace) as well.
Good idea Miz G but surely the oil is not from the hoze? If it is I have a very dangerous situation here. Would propane at lowish pressure form oil condensate?

Dennis
14-11-2015, 10:01 PM
Dennis, are you saying that the oil is from the torch? I can understand that I may have a problem with the gas but not why I should replace the torch. I do have the problem that the jets is getting bunged up but once I get rid of the oil I will clean the nozzle.

No, a misunderstanding. I meant change the cylinder. Dennis.

mizgeorge
15-11-2015, 12:40 AM
This is a subject that's come up from time to time in the past, and there seem to be two possible causes.

The first is that the oily stuff isn't actually oil at all, but is a breakdown of the plasticisers in the hose. The second is that it's to do with the odourant added to the propane to make it easier to detect - which is some sort of oil, and which can become more apparent when the cannister is low.

The consensus has always been to change bottle, and replace the hose at the same time - it's possible to flush them, but they have to be really really dry before reusing, and they're inexpensive enough to just get a new one rather than take any chances.

ajda
15-11-2015, 07:04 AM
That's sound advice from George. Propane eats hoses over time so not a bad idea to replace every few years anyway. And make sure you get the proper orange tubing designed for use with propane - ordinary plastics and rubbers are no good.
Alan

FineJewelleryandArt
15-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Thanks Mz G and Alan, your take on the issue matches my situation rather closely. I will replace both tank and hose.

Much appreciated

Frans