PDA

View Full Version : Diamond buying

pauljoels
09-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm effectively a hobbyist silver/goldsmither, and make lots of pieces for friends and family. I am doing a stone setting course very soon and would like to know the best place to buy diamonds at the best rates. As a hobbyist I do not have a company registration or anything like that and I realise that limits me to where I can purchase my stones from...

I have been in touch with wholesalers in London, Germany and Antwerp and effectively had the same response from each - unless I can prove I am a legitimate company I cannot purchase diamonds from them. (Btw, I have purchased a couple from Cooksons in the past, but want to have a full choice and be able to consider all the C's depending on budgets). The more frustrating thing is that all of them gave me access to their systems so I was able to view all the trade prices etc, and now I know what price they should be I am loath to go to jewellers in the quarter or elsewhere for that matter as I know I am paying much more than I 'could be'.

Is there any way of buying diamonds at near true trade rates, without being a proper company as I do not want this hassle as I am not selling, but merely wanting to make quality pieces for my own hobby?

Or without sounding too cheeky, and because I don't believe you get without asking, is there someone on here who can help me out, and purchase on my behalf with minimal mark-up for time spent buying etc?

MuranoSilver
09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi Paul
Most of the Diamond dealers operate on an Appro system (they send them on approval for you to choose the ones you want from a parcel).
I guess that's why you're having difficulty - if you can get to something like Spring or Autumn Fair then you might be able to select some there and then pay in advance for them to deliver to you.
Hope that helps.
Nicola x

pauljoels
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
thanks - that sounds interesting. And i think I am signed up to go this Autumn actually so will look into this.

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:20 PM
you could try capital gems. also try IJL, lots of diamond dealers there!
Em

Dennis
20-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Why are you replying to posts dated 2009?

ps_bond
20-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Cos it's pink & in a can...