PDA

View Full Version : Gold plating tarnishing?

LydiaNiz
10-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Someone sent me photographs today of this ring they purchased - it's apparently gold plated sterling silver (bought from UK), but it arrived like this. The person who made it said it was due to damp air, the purchaser said it was rust-like. I've never had anything plated and don't know the answer - can anyone shed some light on why it may have these spots?
Thanks!

mizgeorge
10-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Looks like a bit of dodgy old brass to me....

Dennis
10-11-2015, 10:43 PM
If it is sold as gold plated silver, it should have a hall mark, Lydia.

I think George is right. It looks like a rusty plated curtain ring to me too. Dennis.

marna
10-11-2015, 11:26 PM
Another +1 for it looking rusty in that pic. Brass is slightly magnetic, so if you have a superstrong magnet on hand you might be able to identify it as that?

susieq
10-11-2015, 11:33 PM
If it is sold as gold plated silver, it should have a hall mark, Lydia.

I think George is right. It looks like a rusty plated curtain ring to me too. Dennis.

Not yet having sent anything for hallmarking so not being clear on the rules, if it's under 7.78 grams then can't it be sold without a hall mark?

Whatever it is, I'm surely damp air shouldn't do that to it or most everything gold plated in the UK would have rusty spots after a few weeks?

Very interested to hear the outcome.

Dennis
11-11-2015, 03:53 AM
If it's under 7.78 grams then can't it be sold without a hall mark?

You're right Suzie, but hallmarking would still be optional and certainly desirable, or you would risk getting a Pig in a Poke. Dennis

caroleallen
11-11-2015, 08:34 AM
I know very little about plating but I think a lot of cheaper end jewellers use flash plating which is a very thin layer of gold.

pearlescence
11-11-2015, 09:43 AM
I have a lot of gold plate on silver and none of it rusts. The gold doesn't wear off either, even after several years of wear on a necklace clasp. Those marks could be slight indentations which are filled with dark something or showing shadow. Gold plating won't smooth a rough surface.

LydiaNiz
12-11-2015, 03:41 PM
thanks all, the chap said it was fresh from the platers, so could the orignal have been tarnished? really apreciate it and will pass your comments on!

Dennis
12-11-2015, 07:13 PM
That's very strange, because cleaning and preparing it is part of the process. Plating, of course is porous, but less so the thicker it gets, so he might have it cleaned up and plated more thickly. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
13-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Apparently the replacement ring is the same, pitted state so is going back for a refund.

johnmoto
17-11-2015, 01:52 AM
Someone sent me photographs today of this ring they purchased - it's apparently gold plated sterling silver (bought from UK), but it arrived like this. The person who made it said it was due to damp air, the purchaser said it was rust-like. I've never had anything plated and don't know the answer - can anyone shed some light on why it may have these spots?
Thanks!

It looks like it's been plated with to much voltage to quickly, that's what you end up with pitting and matted
That's if it is indeed silver.

diamondsetting4u.com
Instagram. diamondsetting4u