PDA

View Full Version : Rolling mills

Eleanor1961
10-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Anyone know where i can get pattern plates for rolling mills other than the US?
Thanks.

Dennis
10-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Apologies if this is not what you want to hear Eleanor, but ready made plates have a shortish life and can be expensive.

Many interesting patterns can be achieved, by wrapping thin fabric remnants around metal and rolling that, folded edge first. Sometimes it improves by using a new piece at a different angle and rolling again.

You can also use thick art paper and cut out shaped bits with fancy craft punches, or a craft knife.

Other favourites are expanded aluminium, bits of binding wire, bandages, emery paper etc. The list is endless, but it is best to protect your rollers from anything hard or coarse, by wrapping the whole thing in a fold of paper.

If you experiment on pieces of copper, you will soon accumulate some favourite samples. If you look at my album from past years, using the link below, you will see some of my roll textures. Dennis.

LydiaNiz
10-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I killed my favourite jumper because it had a lovely open weave that I knew would make a good texture. It did. :-(

Dennis
10-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Not a good way to get a finger print either.

emsterv
11-11-2015, 06:41 AM
I killed my favourite jumper because it had a lovely open weave that I knew would make a good texture. It did. :-(

Not a good way to get a finger print either.

:rofl: This kills.

caroleallen
11-11-2015, 08:37 AM
I've had several from the US and they do eventually curl so much that they're unusable. You could try this company https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/rollingmillresource

Alternatively you could try finding someone to laser cut card for you.

Unhindered
19-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Feathers are my favourite! Orange netting also looks fab, and lace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk