PDA

View Full Version : Stone setting tool recommendations

Unhindered
31-10-2015, 04:00 PM
I am trying to decide between a foredom SR & LX but it needs to be used for everything, drilling, buffing etc.

I would also be interested to see what other tools you find useful as I just stumbled across the benchmate setters package in one of the threads and I'm intrigued! I want to improve my stone setting skills so anything that will make that possible send ideas my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurarius
31-10-2015, 06:11 PM
The LX will come into its own when you're doing drilling and seat cutting, the SR when you want higher speeds.

I couldn't really set stones without some kind of vice to hold the piece as I work largely one-handed. The Benchmate is an ideal holding tool for ordinary setting work.

Being able to see what you're doing is one of the most important considerations. Optivisors, or similar, are a must. A microscope would be a luxury for most of us, but is a necessity for those who have to compete at the finer end of the setting trade; however good you are with 3X magnification, you'll do better work with 10X.

Unhindered
31-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Ok great thank you for your advice :) in which cases would the higher speeds of the SR be more beneficial?

Aurarius
01-11-2015, 02:39 AM
Ok great thank you for your advice :) in which cases would the higher speeds of the SR be more beneficial?

Polishing, but probably other things too that I haven't thought of. The 5000 rpm max of the LX is probably a bit slow for some things. I've never used either the LX or the SR because I've got a micromotor, but sometimes I'd like to have the LX's low speed torque to play with. Maybe you could get both and give us a full review after you've used them for a bit. Only joking - sort of.

Unhindered
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Haha! I wish I could, maybe if I win the lottery? I was leaning more towards the SR just because most people seem to go for that one, but I really want to develop my stone setting skills and I do have a polishing motor so I think I will need to research this more!

CJ57
01-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Like you Charlotte I have a bench polisher and would really like to do some stone setting. Aurarius had already suggested a micromotor and that was going to be my Christmas present to me but like you I'm now uncertain, will be interested to know what you do

Unhindered
19-11-2015, 02:25 PM
I emailed foredom for their advice and got this very helpful email so I have decided to go for the SR!

Hi Charlotte:
The LX will deliver maximum speed of 5.000 RPM only while the SR delivers 18.000RPM.
If you only work with the hammer handpiece the LX is the right motor for you also if you want to have a dedicated set-up only for stone setting/hammer applications.
You can use the hammer handpiece (rated for max speed of 4,500 RPM) with the SR but you will have to very careful not to use it at higher speeds.
If you use other handpieces like the No. 30, or 20 models for example and need speeds above 5.000 RPM the SR is the right choice.
Hope this helps.,

Miguel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
19-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Most jewellers burrs and tools will be trashed above 5k RPM and most of the time you will be using less than half that speed. In fact large wheels and sanding drums on long mandrels are liable to bend spontaneously at high speeds and become hazardous. Dennis.