PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking Queries

DaveM/LAO
28-10-2015, 04:01 PM
Hi Everyone,
If you have any hallmarking related problems/queries/or questions I'll be more than happy to help.
Best
Dave

ps_bond
28-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi Dave - might be worth doing a bit more of an intro; I know who you are, but others may not.

Glad to have you here.

DaveM/LAO
28-10-2015, 05:38 PM
Well,........ Peter has asked that I might further introduce myself to the uninitiated, so here goes! Nothing like blowing your own trumpet!!!
I am currently Head of Training, Education & TS Liaison for The Goldsmiths Company Assay Office (in short LAO)
Master to three working apprentices at the moment, Expert witness for TS in court, Member of the BHC 'Touchstone Awards' panel, part of the analytical back up team for the Antique Plate Committee, Fellow of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths, Honorary Member of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths & of the City of London, and lastly..... longest serving member of the Goldsmiths Company, 44 years and 4 months, but who's counting! Phew..!
I'm sure there was something else!! ......bet you wish you hadn't asked, Peter!

Goldsmith
28-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Welcome Dave, I am sure you will get lots of queries.

James

Dennis
28-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the forum Dave. The hallmarking questions are endless. Dennis.

ps_bond
28-10-2015, 07:24 PM
......bet you wish you hadn't asked, Peter!

Not at all!

ajda
28-10-2015, 07:36 PM
Welcome Dave. I met you at the last hallmarking info day - remember the gold nugget brooch? I've already got a few new questions to pester you with but will come back fresh in the morning...
Alan

LydiaNiz
28-10-2015, 08:19 PM
Hello! Strap in Dave, you're going to get plenty of questions!.
I am also secretly hoping you have the LAO equivalent of a scout jumper with all those badges ;-)

ajda
29-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Here goes... When submitting silver for laser hallmarking:

1. Does it make any difference to you what temper the silver?
2. Can you apply laser marks at different intensities - ie lighter/shallower or heavier/deeper - if you see what I mean?
3. At the hallmarking info day Steve mentioned new laser-marking machinery that you are introducing for making deeper marks, closer in appearance to punched marks - when do you expect that to be an available option (and will it cost the same)?
4. Just out of interest, as an old hand in the business, do you have a personal preference for punch-marking over laser-marking?

Alan

Edit - re #2 above, looking back through old posts I think I've found the answer to that one - it seems it's possible to request 2D, 3D, 3D deep or 3D extra deep, the extra deep costing more but the others at the normal standard charge. Is that correct?

DaveM/LAO
29-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Hi Alan,
I remember it well.....
in answer to your questions ...1. the physical harness of the silver doesn't have an effect on the lasers, as the metal itself is being vapourised, if it was being struck we're talking a whole different kettle of fish though as we would prefer annealed, especially with large display marks, for obvious reasons.
2. your footnote at the bottom of your post is correct.
3. We are still working on the software of the new lasers, initially the problem was trying to create the first true 3D laser marks,(at the moment all the Assay Offices 3D marks are in deeply cut 2D to give the appearance of 3D) we think we may have now conquered this problem, but as is usual a new problem has arisen, in that it takes 30 minutes to create a single mark, this timing is obviously unacceptable so we are continually striving to create an even balance between time and detail. To get it just right we are employing a young lady expert in the field (GC&DC winner) to help.
Pricing for this will be time based as it is for our deeper laser marks at present.
4 .My personal preference is for Handmarking, purely as a traditionalist, as I collect antique silver on a small scale, and the fact this is one of the first things after 'touchtesting' that my apprentices learn.
Best
Dave

Patstone
29-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Hi Dave - might be worth doing a bit more of an intro; I know who you are, but others may not.

Glad to have you here.

I know him too, got a warm welcome a few weeks ago. I forgot to leave my parcel with you and ended up dragging it back to Exeter again. Have to get around to sending it up. Pat Lee (Isca Silver)

Goldsmith
29-10-2015, 04:53 PM
I have never met Dave, but this is Dave, when he was made Fellow of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths last year.

James

CJ57
29-10-2015, 05:07 PM
I have never met Dave, but this is Dave, when he was made Fellow of the Institute of Professional Goldsmiths last year.

James

Nice to put a face to a name, Hello Dave, that's some cv

theresa
29-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Merry by name and merry by nature from the pic.
Nice to meet you Dave.

Nice to put a face to a name, Hello Dave, that's some cv

ajda
29-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Dave - thanks for your comprehensive answer - very helpful!
Alan

LydiaNiz
01-11-2015, 11:33 PM
A question that came up on Friday please! A lady wants a rong with 18ct, 9ct and sterling. Not much differenc in the amount of either gold. Which do I put in the 'mixed metal' box please? (It will be sent witb a sterling parcel). Thanks!

DaveM/LAO
02-11-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi Lydia,
Silver and gold goes into the 'mixed metal' box
The ring will be hallmarked as sterling initially but you can have a gold part mark, in this case 9ct, but you must mention it on the hallnote otherwise they will just mark it as silver.
Best
Dave

LydiaNiz
02-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks Dave, to clarify, can it only be marked with the lowest carat of gold it contains? (As it will have 9 and 18 in it)

DaveM/LAO
05-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Hi Lydia, sorry for the delay in getting back to you,
this is one of those instances where you have to assume a consumer can't visually see the difference between 9ct and 18ct, so therefore only the lower standard of gold can be recognised.

LydiaNiz
05-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks Dave, I suspected this would be the case, but good to know for sure!

LizShewan
16-11-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi DaveM, I'm hoping you can help me!
I'm hallmarking my pieces for the first time ... and was wanting to know if it is a good idea that as well as having the traditional UK marks, would you advise me to also get International Convention marks and/or UK plus Common Control marks? (I'm unclear what they are and what their differences are) ... I will be selling online so there is potential that people from overseas will be buying pieces ...

Many thanks (forgive me if it has already been answered in a thread somewhere ... if it has, I haven't found it!)

Liz

Goldsmith
16-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Liz, 95% of my work has been sent or sold abroad and I have only ever used the standard UK hallmarks, which are recognised and trusted worldwide.

James

LizShewan
16-11-2015, 01:00 PM
Oh OK, that's good to know ... I was thinking that to be the case ... thank you.

susieq
20-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Meant to phone the LAO today but time ran away with me and by the time I remembered it was too late. Does anyone know what the standard turn-around time for hallmarking is at this time of year - is it still 3 - 5 working days?

Thanks

LizShewan
21-11-2015, 10:36 AM
Meant to phone the LAO today but time ran away with me and by the time I remembered it was too late. Does anyone know what the standard turn-around time for hallmarking is at this time of year - is it still 3 - 5 working days?

Thanks

I spoke to them at the beginning of the week and they said they are very busy at the moment and could take more like 7 days. That said, they got mine on Tuesday and posted them back to me yesterday so I am hoping I have to sign for them any minute ...

susieq
21-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks Liz, I knew they would be busy at this time of the year. Hope your parcel has arrived/arrives soon.

Susie

DaveM/LAO
01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Hi Liz,
Sorry for the rather late response, but I see 'Goldsmith' enlightened you.
Just to give you a brief idea of what the story is between the two different marks; Obviously the Traditional UK mark is, what it is; but the 'convention' mark was initially set up with UK and Swiss offices to enable Assay Offices in Europe working to our own exacting standards some recognition, this system has slowly grown to include 18 member states at present, and a name change from European convention to International convention, as Israel is now part of the group, if an article is convention marked in those member states and marked with a convention mark they can circumvent the system here and be offered directly for retail sale, likewise us for them.
A big confusion for some is, we sometimes don't except the national marks from particular countries even though we except their convention marks, and this is usually where a particular laboratory is not up to the same spek as a convention recognised laboratory.
Best Dave

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 08:28 AM
8732Hi, I hope this thread is still active.

First of all, I haven't built my business up to selling a big number of pieces, how do people factor in the time it takes to get pieces hallmarked if a customer orders? Do most send blanks to be used before hand?

If not, are customers generally happy to wait?

Also, if I make necklaces with several pieces hanging on them, each on a desperate jump ring (see pic), and each piece is less than hallmarking weight, does it still need hallmarked?

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Separate jump ring**

enigma
27-02-2016, 08:51 AM
I send blank in as much as possible to keep costs down rather than to avoid waiting times - its a lot to add on to a silver item if you are sending single items in.
Im in France so my waiting times can be up to 3 weeks including postage both ways and none of my customers have a problem with that although my turnaround time is 10-12 weeks anyway so its not much to add on.

Re your necklace, if each pendant can be slid off the chain separately then I don't believe they need hallmarking if each one is under the weight.

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Ah thanks so much..
I guess I will send in some finished pieces and as many blanks as I can. Tricky with cuff bracelets as each one is a different size but I will just send a mixture :)

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 08:54 AM
I'm asking now as I haven't made pieces over the weight limit before, so this is all new to me!

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Ok, I'm trying to register with the Edinburgh Assay office.

It says I have to order my sponsors mark punch, is that for them to use or for me?

Also, there's a choice of straight or swan neck, mostly I'll be getting cuff bracelets hallmarked at the moment.
Should I select swan neck or straight?

Confused

Goldsmith
27-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Firstly they will want to know what letters you want on your punch, then they will let you know what shape punch you can have based on what is already registered.
Then you will have to select what size or sizes of punches you need. It will be your choice as to whether you want to use you own punch of for them to punch your pieces.
The swan neck punches are mainly for marking rings and are quite small, I would think you may prefer a larger punch for bracelets, although it's up to you what sizes you want, if you don't mind small hallmarks then the swan neck will suit all jobs.
Finally I don't know about the Edinburgh office, but in London you are offered the option of having your pieces laser marked, then all you need do is have your punch added to their file list and they can mark any size you wish.
When I registered my mark, some 40 years ago I didn't have the option of laser marking. so I ordered 3 punches in various sizes, one swan neck and two straight, which I kept myself and marked my own pieces over the years.

enigma
27-02-2016, 10:45 AM
I buy my cuff and bangle blanks in at the maximum size and hallmark them.
You do obviously waste some silver that way but I do quite a bit of casting so its not a problem for me, you could send it back to Cooksons as scrap and get some money back that way if you aren't casting.

I have a straight punch , medium sort of size that works ok for all my items except rings that are sent after making- those I have laser marked instead.
I do prefer the stamp, I think it looks nicer than laser and its also much easier to make the item after stamping than lasering as the mark is a lot deeper so will take a lot more finishing without damage.
The stamps are normally held at the assay office.

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Ah ok, so I think a medium sized straigh punch will be best. If my bracelets are 6mm wide, and my bangles about 3mm, what size do you think?
They do offer laser but that's a whole separate price list and I think I like the idea of my pieces mostly being stamped..

Good idea to return spare silver as scrap, didn't think about that.

Do you think I should order extra punches in the near future to use at home too?

enigma
27-02-2016, 12:58 PM
You are best to ask them really, if you tell them the size pieces you will want stamping they will advise :)
You could have a punch for use at home for items that don't need hallmarking.
Its a nice idea actually, I should get myself one as I do sometimes have items that don't need hallmarking and then they would at least have my initials on.

CJ57
27-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Ok, I'm trying to register with the Edinburgh Assay office.

It says I have to order my sponsors mark punch, is that for them to use or for me?

Also, there's a choice of straight or swan neck, mostly I'll be getting cuff bracelets hallmarked at the moment.
Should I select swan neck or straight?

Confused

You'll probably be dealing with Doreen Jareckyj re your punch and she is really helpful. I recently had to renew my punch as my original was worn. I'd only had a swan neck due to the cost and had wanted to buy both now but she still advised that I didn't really need it as I can use it for all surfaces whereas a straight is more limited. She will advise on size too
Once you are registered you can choose to leave it with them to mark for you, or I've always kept mine and then get really stressed when I get round to doing it and have to practice on a piece of scrap!
You can also get laser marking done which I have done on pieces that would spoil with struck marks. They are all really good to work with, you'd hardly know they had touched work when in the beginning your work came back with such deep sample marks that you couldn't send in finished pieces.
They do have busy periods so ask about waiting times before sending in if you are in a hurry.
Exciting times for you :)

enigma
27-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Once you are registered you can choose to leave it with them to mark for you, or I've always kept mine and then get really stressed when I get round to doing it and have to practice on a piece of scrap!

Yes, thats why I leave mine with them even though I do quite a bit of letter stamping I still stress every time! [-o<

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Ah that's all really useful to know.. I think best to leave the stamp with them as I'm likely to stress over it too. Although at some point I'd like my own stamp at home for smaller pieces that don't need hallmarked but I would like my sponsors Mark on.

It is exciting, bummer I have to find the funds to initially set it up but I'm so excited :D

CJ57
27-02-2016, 03:53 PM
Ah that's all really useful to know.. I think best to leave the stamp with them as I'm likely to stress over it too. Although at some point I'd like my own stamp at home for smaller pieces that don't need hallmarked but I would like my sponsors Mark on.

It is exciting, bummer I have to find the funds to initially set it up but I'm so excited :D

I don't think you can use your makers mark for anything but Hallmarking, it's registered with that office but I may be completely wrong

theresa
27-02-2016, 06:06 PM
I like to keep my punch at home so I can mark 925/TH on small things. If they go to the USA that's all they need.
I also get everything laser marked now which is fine. I've asked for 3D laser on my next batch which I hope will look good.
In an ideal world all my work would carry a full hallmark, but sometimes it's not practical when stuff has to be shipped quickly.
BTW they don't have to keep your punch, you just need to remember to send it each time.

Littlewhitefeathers
27-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Ah does anyone know if I can use my makers mark on small pieces that don't require hallmarking?

Ok, next quesrion.. I see they charge 20p for items that are individually packaged.
If
I wanted to send 10 pieces, how would I package them so they were classed as not individually packaged?

CJ57
27-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Individually wrapped means little bags, I have a stiff cardboard box that I send mine in. I line it with bubble wrap if things aren't finished and pack them tightly. They don't mind bubble wrap to separate things just not bagged, it's a time thing

enigma
27-02-2016, 11:44 PM
With regard to the makers mark ,ask them and let us know please :D

Aurarius
28-02-2016, 02:13 AM
Ah does anyone know if I can use my makers mark on small pieces that don't require hallmarking?
I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be allowed to. That mark on its own though would be no indication of the purity of the metal.

Littlewhitefeathers
28-02-2016, 09:46 AM
Ah thanks for clarification on the packaging.

Will double check with them about the makers/sponsors mark

CJ57
28-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Ah thanks for clarification on the packaging.

Will double check with them about the makers/sponsors mark

Forgot to say there is one difference re packaging, if you are sending in the parts of a piece not yet constructed then they have to be bagged. It's not quite so necessary now that you can have laser marking now but when it was only a struck mark sometimes you had to send it in bits if it was a hollow structure for example. Sorry if that's stating the obvious and for you at the moment it's probably not relevant with cuffs.

Littlewhitefeathers
28-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Thanks, not stating the obvious at all!
It's all new to me :)

Another question, do you usually mark where you want the hallmarks on the piece?

enigma
28-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Yes, I do unless its a finished piece when I often leave it to them to decide the best place.
or for ring shanks/cuffs etc I may just write " mark centrally " for the whole lot.

Tabby66
28-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Best to check with them how the office you use how they prefer items packaged (and how to minimise charging for this too).....it varies!! But they really are very helpful if you call :)

CJ57
28-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Yes , I do too. I think it says markwith a marker but I use a pencil usually for laser marks, if you are striking your own mark then that will be where they follow on. If it's something more complicated, on the notes I give them options or tell them to mark in the best place

CJ57
28-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Best to check with them how the office you use how they prefer items packaged (and how to minimise charging for this too).....it varies!! But they really are very helpful if you call :)
She's using my office so that's why I was giving her a few pointers :) for all the fuss about charging for separate packets I got my last lot back packaged more than I'd sent them which was good of them as some were finished!

Anna Wales
29-02-2016, 08:46 AM
No: 5 on FAQs London Assay Office
Can I apply my sponsor's mark to items that do not need hallmarking?
Yes. You can apply your sponsor's mark to any items that you make or sell that do not already have a hallmark

enigma
29-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Thanks Anna :)

Littlewhitefeathers
01-03-2016, 02:46 PM
I checked about the sponsors mark. It's fine to apply this to pieces at home that are exempt by weight, as long as it isn't stamped near any other mark that may already be on the piece

LizShewan
16-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Hi Dave, or someone else maybe ...

I've just added a touch of 24ct accent gold to this fine silver pendant that has already been hallmarked before I added it ... do I need to get it re-hallmarked? Thanks!

CJ57
16-05-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi Liz, Edinburgh tell me that it's no more than plating when I send in keum boo so only gets a silver mark so if it's already hallmarked as silver it's fine

Jasdir Singh Jaura
17-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
If you have any hallmarking related problems/queries/or questions I'll be more than happy to help.
Best
Dave

Hello! Dave.

How is it possible to check the purity of gold article filled with any other metal from inside (without spoiling the article) ?
Filled with any other metal means that it has very thick layer of gold outer.

Jasdir.

LizShewan
21-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Hi Liz, Edinburgh tell me that it's no more than plating when I send in keum boo so only gets a silver mark so if it's already hallmarked as silver it's fine

Thanks so much!

LydiaNiz
25-05-2016, 10:48 AM
A new question
I have to send a packet next week - silver and some silver with 18ct.
Some of the silver/18ct brooches have stainless steel pins - is this going to be a problem??

paintboxcrafts
25-05-2016, 12:41 PM
I just had my first silver brooch with a stainless steel pin hallmarked with no problem in London. I just wrote "brooch with stainless steel pin" on the hall note, and wrote "stainless steel pin" on the back of the brooch in felt pen.

LydiaNiz
25-05-2016, 02:31 PM
It's more the fact it already has mixed metals I want marked already - the 18ct is more important to me than steel to be marked. If it only got marked silver + metal it would be rather gutting :-/

paintboxcrafts
25-05-2016, 03:44 PM
I see what you mean. My brooch was just marked as silver, not silver + metal.

CJ57
25-05-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm assuming the pin isn't actually attached as in soldered to the brooch so I would have thought it would be marked mixed metals

LydiaNiz
25-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks Paintbox (Sorry, I don't know your name!) Caroline, I'm not explaining myself well - I know they won't mark Silver + part mark 18ct + METAL, so wondering what they would mark - either silver + 18ct or if it would have to be silver + METAL, or if they ignore the stainless steel pin as it is a permissable addition.

CJ57
25-05-2016, 08:05 PM
I think they will mark mixed metals as in silver and gold and ignore the pin as its permissible. Edinburgh have marked my silver with gold with a mixed metal mark. They call mixed metal ' a mixture of precious metals or precious metal and base metal' that's why I was asking if the pin is permanently attached or hinged.

LydiaNiz
25-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Interesting - I have only ever had a part mark or a metal (base) - not both. Pins will not be soldered

CJ57
25-05-2016, 11:10 PM
Interesting - I have only ever had a part mark or a metal (base) - not both. Pins will not be soldered
This was for pricing but it shows the marks. 8980

Jasdir Singh Jaura
31-05-2016, 07:38 AM
Still my question is unanswered,
Do anybody else care to explain, please ?

Unhindered
31-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Jasdir, im not sure its possible to do without filing a bit away, what is it exactly you are trying to do?

LydiaNiz
31-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Sounds like it would certainly at least have to remove the plating from one part. Maybe email one of the assay offices?

Jasdir Singh Jaura
01-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Hallmark means a mark on a article/piece which guarantee the purity of that precious metal.
I thought that hallmark means full satisfaction of purity, But, if they aren't fully capable of testing the purity of any article/piece, Than hallmarking is for what ? nothing I think.

I thought they might be having any other machine (other than XRF) which is capable to test any ready article/piece of precious metal down to core. But, now, after your replies am sure that there isn't any such machine, and Hallmark is just an useless mark paid for :)

No need to contact any assay office, because I already know how they will justify this stupid guarantee.

So, for me "Hallmark" = "Stupid-Guarantee"

Anyways, Thanks for your input, both.. Unhindered & LydiaNiz.

Jasdir.

Unhindered
01-06-2016, 12:51 PM
if its plated (has a non precious metal core) i dont think they can hallmark it anyway

Ceri
01-06-2016, 12:53 PM
I believe that the purity in an item with a metal core may not necessarily be ascertained but the impurity can be.
If a piece is described as solid 9ct gold the Archimedes principle can be used to calculate whether the gold is pure 9ct (see Archimedes, eureka on any search engine)
If the piece declares a metal core it would be marked as plated or rolled gold.
In short, math can be used to check expected mass against actual mass thus revealing purity.

Does that clarify or am I missing the question?

It is confusing because historically in other countries plate was marked as gold. I have a pair of earrings that I bought in Malta in 2002 which are marked 9kt but they are plate. The British system does differentiate in the same way that Victorian silver maybe marked with a lion (silver) or the letters EP (electroplated silver)

Jasdir Singh Jaura
01-06-2016, 01:18 PM
if its plated (has a non precious metal core) i dont think they can hallmark it anyway

How will the assay office measure purity if a very thick layer of precious is rolled on any cheap metal ?
Hence they can make a mark, yes.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
I believe that the purity in an item with a metal core may not necessarily be ascertained but the impurity can be.
If a piece is described as solid 9ct gold the Archimedes principle can be used to calculate whether the gold is pure 9ct (see Archimedes, eureka on any search engine)
If the piece declares a metal core it would be marked as plated or rolled gold.
In short, math can be used to check expected mass against actual mass thus revealing purity.

Does that clarify or am I missing the question?

It is confusing because historically in other countries plate was marked as gold. I have a pair of earrings that I bought in Malta in 2002 which are marked 9kt but they are plate. The British system does differentiate in the same way that Victorian silver maybe marked with a lion (silver) or the letters EP (electroplated silver)
Ready article/piece can also carry studded stones etc. Hence Archimedes-principle cannot be applied in such cases.
Does assaying offices refuse any such articles/pieces for hallmarking ?

Anyways, I also don't think that assay office apply both XRF, and as well as Archimedes-principle on each and every article/piece before hallmarking. (Even when the article/piece does't carry stones etc. )

susieq
01-06-2016, 01:46 PM
When I went to Art in Action a couple of years ago the LAO was there with a special machine that they placed items on and it produced a graph of the various metals present. One of my rings turned out to be 18ct - the other came to very very slightly under 9ct and as I said I would probably melt it down to re-use at some point they advised adding a small amount of higher purity gold to it so that I could be confident it would get a 9ct hallmark. I don't know whether this was an XRF machine?

It's my understanding that they do test each and every item - if they need to scrape the surface away then they will and they are diligent in only awarding justified hallmarks. I know somewhere I have read of people sending pieces for hallmark only for them to be refused as components were not what they claimed to be, so they do reject items.

Ceri
01-06-2016, 02:14 PM
I believe that the Archimedes principle could still be applied but it is more likely that this http://www.oxford-instruments.com/industries-and-applications/metals/jewellery-precious-metals is used which should be enough information to apply/deny a hallmark on basis of plate/solid and also check the gemstones simultaneously so the piece can be stamped if required.

During the Georgian era, the Archimedes principle was used to check weights for hallmarking hence the variable gold content of 18ct gold rings from that date (18-21ct in purity) because anything under 18ct would be refused to be recognised as gold until a later law in Victorian times recognised 15ct (In Britain) and 14ct (In America) and later still 9ct (8ct in America)

British Hallmarking standards are recognised the world over. They would not jeopardise their reputation by stamping anything that isn't to standard.

CJ57
01-06-2016, 03:08 PM
My assay office Edinburgh, doesn't mark plated metal and they do indeed test every piece that is sent in Jasdir

metalsmith
01-06-2016, 06:14 PM
I bought in Malta in 2002 which are marked 9kt but they are plate.

Of course you'll know that the 9kt mark isn't necessarily a hallmark, but a stamp that can be bought by anyone. I have a couple of gold kt stamps and a '925' and apply them (in fact I've only ever used '925') as appropriate. Only the assay office can apply the hallmark, hence the reason it does act as a guarantee. For a stamped, plated article, yes, it would be misleading to knowingly mark a plated article and potentially a case fraud / deception to sell it knowingly.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
02-06-2016, 09:42 AM
My assay office Edinburgh, doesn't mark plated metal and they do indeed test every piece that is sent in Jasdir
Caroline, My question is..

Considering.. Archimedes-principle cannot be applied on the pieces/articles that carry studded stones etc. because different stones have different densities. XRF cannot test the ready article/piece down to core unless it is melted.

What is the method applied for testing purity of a finished article/piece ? or assay office just do it by mere guess ?

CJ57
02-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Caroline, My question is..

Considering.. Archimedes-principle cannot be applied on the pieces/articles that carry studded stones etc. because different stones have different densities. XRF cannot test the ready article/piece down to core unless it is melted.

What is the method applied for testing purity of a finished article/piece ? or assay office just do it by mere guess ?

I don't work there so don't know their processes so it would be best to phone one of them and put their question as no one from the assay office seems to look in on the forum anymore. I think we have all suggested everything we can with our limited knowledge which doesn't seem to answer your question. I found this on the Edinburgh website

Before your goods can be hallmarked they must first of all be tested to ensure they are of the standard submitted.

Where it is not possible to remove a sample of metal for testing we are able to test using X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF). This method is ideal for finished gold, silver and platinum pieces and does not require the removal of any material.

Sometimes in order to test your goods we must first remove a sample of metal. The amount of sample removed is normally less than 100 milligrams (one tenth of a gram). However, our fully trained and equipped jewellery finishing service ensures your products are returned in perfect order.

Any sample physically removed is analysed by our in house 17025 laboratory using cupellation (fire assay) for gold, potentiometric titration for silver, or X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF) for platinum and palladium.

Jasdir Singh Jaura
03-06-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't work there so don't know their processes so it would be best to phone one of them and put their question as no one from the assay office seems to look in on the forum anymore. Oh! Okay :)

I think we have all suggested everything we can with our limited knowledge which doesn't seem to answer your question. I found this on the Edinburgh website

Before your goods can be hallmarked they must first of all be tested to ensure they are of the standard submitted.

Where it is not possible to remove a sample of metal for testing we are able to test using X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF). This method is ideal for finished gold, silver and platinum pieces and does not require the removal of any material.

Sometimes in order to test your goods we must first remove a sample of metal. The amount of sample removed is normally less than 100 milligrams (one tenth of a gram). However, our fully trained and equipped jewellery finishing service ensures your products are returned in perfect order.

Any sample physically removed is analysed by our in house 17025 laboratory using cupellation (fire assay) for gold, potentiometric titration for silver, or X-ray Fluorescence Spectroscopy (XRF) for platinum and palladium.

Caroline, I don't doubt hallmarking "Standards". In fact it is very good to maintain "Standards", I admire.

The above copy-paste doesn't answer my question, Yes, you are right, it would be best to phone one of them.

However, thanks for your efforts.

..Jasdir :)