PDA

View Full Version : Hand Crafted or Hand Made?

Emerald
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Hand Crafted or Hand Made which sounds better to describe our work? I think i know which way i would go but would be interested to here what you prefer.:ta:

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't like either, but when I have to I go with crafted (or forged or whatever's appropriate). I do like to make the distinction between mass produced/machined etc, but I hate sounding too much like a kaftan wearing earth mother spinning yarn in a yurt.

I think the one I dislike the most is 'handmade with love', which is a real pass the bucket job for me (with apologies to anyone who uses it). I suppose it's OK on a sweater from granny, but not on high quality jewellery :)

(I'm obviously feeling a bit scratchy today, I blame the lack of chocolate)

Emerald
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
lol poor George, i hate handmade with love with a passion to again sorry to anyone that uses it, but i do need to make a distinction between mass pro stuff and what i am hoping to make i need to get some new cards done and with the tins on my site i feel i need to put something.

Rustic Charm
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
i prefer hand crafted as hand made always makes me think of cakes and jams and dodgy clothes lol !!!!!

Di Sandland
06-09-2009, 04:35 PM
If I had to choose one it would be hand-crafted. Handmade and homemade mean similar things to me - and neither of them good.

I feel the same about handmade with love unless its from granny to grandchild and even then I think its a bit suspected.

Created by might be a better option - does that fit?

Dano
06-09-2009, 04:39 PM
if it's "handmade with love" it better be a cake.

hand-crafted or hand-forged, the latter if it's blokey jewellery. brings forth visions of dwarves toiling with mithril hammers and the like ;)

(i feel like a bloody dwarf sometimes when i look at my hammer rack.)

Solunar Silver Studio
06-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I dithered back and forth between crafted and made before deciding on 'made' to go on my business cards...and I did only order 50 as a trial so I can change it when I order more if I want to...but 'crafted' seems to have taken on a new shade of meaning since 'craft' supply shops have blossomed - with scrapbooking and stickers and decoupage and other little bits and bobs to keep the bored housewife busy. So I thought I would tell it like it is. I make pure silver jewellery - by hand...it is not machine made....it is hand made. What ever you put on your hand made/crafted jewellery sounds a bit iffy in my opinion...perhaps I shoud go back to 'Barbara me fecit'!! ...It would be a talking point if nothing else!!!:-D

agent_44
06-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I prefer handcrafed aswell and use that term. Handmade with love also makes me want to vomit!

Emerald
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
mmm i was just thinking 'created with love' it has a kind of ring to it dont you think:idea:

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Handcrayfished?
With love? (and mustard sauce)

I think I need more chocolate...

MuranoSilver
06-09-2009, 11:22 PM
So you'd love my shop banner George which has
"Jewellery Created by Hand and Heart" maybe I should add some hearts to it?? :<3:

Dano
07-09-2009, 01:00 AM
"Jewellery Created by Hand and Heart" maybe I should add some hearts to it?? :<3:

my shop banner is going to say "Jewellery Created by Sweat and Swearing" ;)

bustagasket
07-09-2009, 06:36 AM
my shop banner is going to say "Jewellery Created by Sweat and Swearing" ;)

lmao i love that one. Perhaps mine could be

"Potentially good jewellery messed about with by a Smurf" :dance:

(several peple clal me a smurf):-"

Solunar Silver Studio
07-09-2009, 06:40 AM
lmao i love that one. Perhaps mine could be

"Potentially good jewellery messed about with by a Smurf" :dance:

(several peple clal me a smurf):-"

The mind boggles!! What is it that gives it away... the blue face or the funny hat??!!:D

bustagasket
07-09-2009, 07:01 AM
The mind boggles!! What is it that gives it away... the blue face or the funny hat??!!:D

I dunno i have been called Smurf by my brother in law ever since he was little, (i think its cos i am short and in those days i was very tiny) but in the latter couple of years i have two friends who call me it too, again cos they are much taller than me lol)

mizgeorge
07-09-2009, 07:27 AM

In honesty Nic, I don't like it. Your work is beautiful, and deserves better than twee.

I'm shouldn't preach though, I use 'handcrafted' at the moment, mainly because I've never been able to come up with anything else that works.

Petal
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi Emerald, :~:

There was a thread about this a while ago with more discussion, which I've linked below.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170&highlight=call

Having said that, my preferred name of the two you mention is hand-crafted. I feel it says you don't make the beads themselves, but craft them into something beautiful, whereas hand-made says to me that you've actually made the components and turned them into some beautiful jewellery.

love
Jules x

Di Sandland
07-09-2009, 07:41 AM
whereas hand-made says to me that you've actually made the components and turned them into some beautiful jewellery.

This thread is a real lesson in perception. To me handmade means the awful, bobbly cardigans my mum knitted for me when I was a child - and when mass-produced and synthetic was the order of the day.

MuranoSilver
07-09-2009, 08:01 AM
In honesty Nic, I don't like it. Your work is beautiful, and deserves better than twee.

I'm shouldn't preach though, I use 'handcrafted' at the moment, mainly because I've never been able to come up with anything else that works.

Lol - I was at the IJL show yesterday and one of my suppliers had a new tagline on their stand, "Created by Hand and Heart" time for a change #-o

Emerald
07-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Here it is then my new business card

Trinkets and Tins
Handmade Crayfish Jewellery
Created With Love and Sweat from the Heart
by
Jo and Amanda

Thanks for all you input everyone.....i think:rofl:

mizgeorge
07-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Perfect!

I see a new line of crustaceans in the future

Ominicci
07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Ooh Nic, I got all prickly on your behalf about your post about that supplier using the same tagline. I thought when I saw it on your website it was nice without being twee!

I know that we had the discussion before, but my cards just say Artisan Silver Jewellery and Stained Glass, because I liked the wiki description.

Solunar Silver Studio
07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Having said that, my preferred name of the two you mention is hand-crafted. I feel it says you don't make the beads themselves, but craft them into something beautiful, whereas hand-made says to me that you've actually made the components and turned them into some beautiful jewellery.

love
Jules x

Oh good! I like that!!:Y: - that means I haven't made a total boo boo with my cards then - as I have 'hand made pure silver jewellery' on them ... and I do make them totally myself - by hand - from wire (which I even draw to the right thickness myself).
Some of the other jewellery I make might have a bit more of a crafted element to them (as I haven't perfected manufacturing fwp, swaros and semi precious stones yet!!)...but I'll keep a bit hush hush about them!!:-D

Emerald
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE

There was a thread about this a while ago with more discussion, which I've linked below.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170&highlight=call

I like the way you think Jules, nicely thought out and thanks for that link very interesting to read and as you say very similar. As i make beaded jewellery with cheaper components aswell as metalwork with precious metal its finding the right combination to fit both.:)

Emerald
07-09-2009, 12:32 PM
why dont my quotes come in a nice little box like everyone elses? lol

ps_bond
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
why dont my quotes come in a nice little box like everyone elses? lol

Like this?

I can see in your earlier message that you have a missing closing brace - so it reads
(but without the space)

Typing the tags manually I can write:

This is a quote
[quote]
This is a nested quote

Emerald
07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
yes i see must have deleted it thanks peter:)

EmmaRose
07-09-2009, 05:51 PM
handcrafted...
having said that your new card would be memorable and a great talking point/ ice breaker :D
Em

Pandanimal
14-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I've been thinking about using

"Designed and made by Julia Hay"

My hubbie gets all huffie when I say handmade, cause I use a torch, tools, a kiln...........et al! same would go for hand crafted! But he is a bit of a pedant!

amazingbabe
14-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Designed and handcrafted by Julia Hay has a nice ring to it xxx

Petal
14-09-2009, 12:02 PM
[QUOTE

Goldsmith, Silversmith, Jeweller. What are YOU??? - Cooksongold Jewellery Making Supplies Forum | Jewellery Making Forums | Craft Forums (http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170&highlight=call)

I like the way you think Jules, nicely thought out and thanks for that link very interesting to read and as you say very similar. As i make beaded jewellery with cheaper components aswell as metalwork with precious metal its finding the right combination to fit both.:)

Hi Emerald,
Thanks for your compliments. [] (I had meant to thank you before, but then lost the thread and have now found it again). BTW I love your bracelets, beautiful beads and unusual colours.

The reason I prefer hand-crafted was not only because I like the phrase used but also because I'd read the definition contained in some blurb from Trading Standards about selling jewellery - believe me there was a LOT of stuff mentioned! That was also where I read about hallmarking sterling over certain weights.

Lotsaluv
Jules x

Boo
14-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I use 'hand crafted with care' in my tag line, largely because I have one aunt and my MIL who always refer to my work as 'home made' which in both cases I think is intended to belittle. I think my work is neat and thorough, so like to include that suggestion. But my work has also evolved, so maybe this needs a rethink.

I have contemplated "by rack of th'eye and twist of't gob" - because it sort of describes my methodology and place in the world.

Like 'sweat and swearing' too.

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I use 'hand crafted with care' in my tag line, largely because I have one aunt and my MIL who always refer to my work as 'home made' which in both cases I think is intended to belittle. I think my work is neat and thorough, so like to include that suggestion. But my work has also evolved, so maybe this needs a rethink.

I have contemplated "by rack of th'eye and twist of't gob" - because it sort of describes my methodology and place in the world.

Like 'sweat and swearing' too.

Maybe mine should say from the cauldron of old mother sandland ;)

Boo
14-09-2009, 01:11 PM
:)

I was just reading the other referenced thread about definitions - interesting that the true definitions would probably be perceived differently by most people.

I am nowhere near far enough along to be called a goldsmith or silversmith and 'jeweller' to me always suggests setting gemstones, high end work etc. I think I'd be flattered if someone just called me a metalsmith.

Emerald
14-09-2009, 05:04 PM
:)

I am nowhere near far enough along to be called a goldsmith or silversmith and 'jeweller' to me always suggests setting gemstones, high end work etc. I think I'd be flattered if someone just called me a metalsmith.

If anyone asks what i do i say i am a jeweller beacause thats what i trained to be, i can and used to set stones but not at the mo as i like working with the Lampwork, jewellers come in many shapes and forms. My cards used to say contemporary or design jeweller but i am not sure about these anymore either.

Julie Moss
20-09-2009, 04:26 PM
It really depends how it is applied - either term can be imply a negative image - very twee etc. Hopefully your work doesn't look like a knitted loo roll cover....
:~: