PDA

View Full Version : How to invisble set small diamonds

johnmoto
29-09-2015, 01:22 AM
The best way I use is to use an old drill ball 005 flatten of the end make sure the end is polished smooth no scratches
And put into Handel ball round , drill hole so the stone fits in so tight it won't come out even if you bang it hard ,
Then with your flat end pusher scim around the edge of the hole about 45 degree angle clock wise or anti keeping a
smooth even pressure until metal is over the stone if done properly you will end up with a bright rim around the stone no
Scratches marks around the stone it will be very clean .
Secondly get another 005 ball drill put it in your drill and with sand paper take the drill down to a fine pin point
And make sure it is highly polished and put that in a grain tool Handel , then with it burnish inside the rim in a circular
Motion until all the metal is on the stone and rim is even .
There you go no mess no buffing over metal getting out scratches dents clean job, believe me it's the best way ben doing this for over 30 years , if you need any help give us a call.

diamondsetting4u.com

Dennis
29-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Hi John,
There are as many methods for this as there are setters word wide, but as you are an established professional we should take note.

Could you please clarify: 'FLATTEN OFF THE END'. Do you mean square it off, or make it thin and flat? Regards, Dennis.

johnmoto
29-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Hi Dennis yes there are various ways of in visible setting and have seen many bad examples.
ie there is no crisp edge around stone stones not level and that have fallen out , I to have tried various ways over
the years thousands of hours, and had to come up with a way that was quick and gave the best results and that it was easy to teach and also could be used to set stones inside rings to.
The answer to your question if you get a 005 ball fraze and with a very thin diamond disc cut through the 005 ball fraze
At the point were the thickness of drill would be roughly the same size of the small stone , then put the ball fraze in your drill and while the drill is spinning fast just keep dabbing it onto your smooth sand paper stick until it is perfectly smooth,
This is then ready to put into a Handel this one is going to be used to lightly skim metal over stone , if done properly
The metal around stone will still be highly polished .
Then do the same thing again another 005 ball but this time just cut off the ball so you end up with a very thin pusher with a flat end , do the same thing with sand paper and put in Handel this one is for the inside edge at 45 degree angle .
And then make your pining tool out of 005 ball just put in your drill spin high speed on sand paper so you end up with a very fine point and give it a spin on polishing paper so ends up polished bright , put in Handel this will be your pining tool
To go around inside edge to make it crisp edge and bright .
I will take some pics and do step by step ilistratration if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps it is much easier to show some one.

diamondsetting4u.com

metalsmith
29-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I will take some pics and do step by step ilistratration if anyone is interested.
Hope this helps it is much easier to show some one.
diamondsetting4u.com

Would love to see a step by step please!

I have an ability to pick up small stones that is several light years faster than my ability to set them, so would be much appreciated. You sound very knowledgeable and nothing beats experience. Thanks

enigma
29-09-2015, 10:50 PM
Yes please , would love some pics thank you!

ajda
30-09-2015, 05:04 AM
Another vote for some pics and step by step instructions - I'm just starting out with flush setting (small Moissanites in silver). Thanks for the helpful tips so far, John.
Alan

TeeDee
30-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Forgive my ignorance John, I'm not familiar with the designation 005 ball fraze.
Would that be what I know as 0.5mm ball burr? Or am I way off track?

Yes please for some photos too. Have done the odd flush set using Soham Harrisons YouTube method but always interested in learning more.

TeeDee
30-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Sorry, Just realised the thread was about invisible setting not flush setting.
Even more interested now as I'm not sure what it is.
Off to GoogleWorld.

ps_bond
30-09-2015, 04:34 PM
What I know as invisible setting involves notching the sides of a stone to lock into tiny rails under the stone, so there's no metal visible holding the stone. It's a horrible way to set and a sod to repair!
I don't think John is referring to that...

johnmoto
30-09-2015, 04:49 PM
hi teedee they are the same thing

diamondsettin4u.com

johnmoto
30-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I will sort out taking pictures just give me a bit of time to work out best way , I no I should of bought the microscope
with the camera would have been so easy.

diamondsetting4u.com

ajda
30-09-2015, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure of the terminology, but from the description of the method I thought it must be the same as what I know as flush or gypsy setting...

ps_bond
30-09-2015, 04:57 PM
I will sort out taking pictures just give me a bit of time to work out best way , I no I should of bought the microscope
with the camera would have been so easy.

The cheap USB microscopes are OK (not fantastic, the lens & the resolution aren't anything to shout about) - I use them to show customers what needs fixing with their jewellery. Quicker to set up than bolting the DSLR to the microscope - although there are some eyepiece adapters that are easy to use, I just insist upon using the trinoc.

johnmoto
30-09-2015, 04:58 PM
They are all the same thing, people just give it different names over the years

diamondsetting4u.com

johnmoto
30-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Thanks I will have a look, someone showed me a IPEVO Ziggi-HD High-Definition USB Document Camera (CDVU-04IP)
I think this will suit better than the usb microscope it has a bigger working distance and high definition
I could not fault the picture it was good, my friend uses it to take close up pictures of customers work
So there's no dispute after the repair ie chipped Dias marks in and on stones.

ps_bond
30-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Thanks I will have a look, someone showed me a IPEVO Ziggi-HD High-Definition USB Document Camera (CDVU-04IP)
I think this will suit better than the usb microscope it has a bigger working distance and high definition

Better resolution, certainly. Similar price region too. And yes, damaged stones is part of the reason for using it... Most of the customers I have I can phone and say the stone is junk before setting it.

johnmoto
01-10-2015, 12:29 AM
Better resolution, certainly. Similar price region too. And yes, damaged stones is part of the reason for using it... Most of the customers I have I can phone and say the stone is junk before setting it.

I think I will get this one you can buy an add on magnefying lens for close ups, and me to but always best to have a back up picture when a stone is worth thousands.

johnmoto
03-11-2015, 02:12 AM
At long last I have put a educational video together on how to invisible set diamonds
Sorry for the wait but had to wait on getting the camera set up , getting xtra parts for it
It's not a bad picture certainly not bad for the money , so here it is guys have a look tell us what you think.

http://youtu.be/1RVZvnyo2wM

diamondsetting4u.com

Gemsetterchris
03-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Not bad at all for a first video :Y:
Might have to look into that myself, the camera certainly has potential & no doubt you`ll improve the videos abit as you go...

Good start!

enigma
03-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Thats great, thanks for sharing!
Can see exactly what shape tools you are using now.:Y: