PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please, adjustable rings

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I need to make up a bunch of adjustable rings for a big event at the end of the month.

My problem is that I can't decide which style of band to make.

The three styles that would work with the setting I'm using would be

a) wide band all round with gap at back
b) tapered band with crossover at back
c) wide band with slight taper and gap at front

How do you feel about adjustable rings in the first place (I love them because my fingers seem to change size a lot), and what sort do you prefer. If you've got any ideas I haven't thought of, please add them in!

I'll be using 1mm sheet for the bands (I think) and the setting is riveted if it helps.

Thanks for any input :)

Petal
06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Oh George, I wish I could help, but you've posed this question at the weekend and you know what weekends are like on here.... very quiet.

My question is, would the gap at the back of the ring stick into the finger? Having said that, I must admit, I also get fingers that change size regularly and quite like the idea of an adjustable ring. Have you got any drawings/piccies of the sort of thing you are thinking of? Apologies for not being more helpful.

Love
Jules x

lesley
06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
From your description I think I'd prefer the look of a) although it's tricky without pics.
So with c) you'd have both the bead/stone and the gap at the front?

Funnily, I'm also busy for a big event at the end of the month. ;)
Stressed or panicking at all?

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Funnily, I'm also busy for a big event at the end of the month. ;)
Stressed or panicking at all?

Nah! Haven't got time!

We're dead chuffed to have you on board though :)

AlexandraBuckle
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
I make my tiara rings adjustable:

*attempting to attach image*

The bands are made from wire and I overlap the wire and curl the ends round to neaten them.

kymbi
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I suppose the most common is an opening at the back, but I've always found these can pinch a bit. Personally I prefer when the ring crosses over at the front and can be adjusted that way, but I'm not sure how this would work with your setting. Do you have any pics George?

Emerald
06-09-2009, 02:23 PM
I would go for b personally with the cross over at the back so it doesent dig in, again personally i am not particularly keen on adjustables but they are a great idea saves making different sizes, you have got me thinking now George i think you just have to make it so it looks like part of the rings design.

Alexandra thats a very pretty ring and a nice crossover at the back x

caroleallen
06-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Firstly, that tiara ring is so sweet and I bet they go well.

Secondly, I make crossover rings in two styles, one is a wide anticlastic ring that crosses over in the front. The other is a wire ring that has a flower soldered to one end and the other end tucks underneath so that you can't see it's not attached. Hope that makes sense. They both sell well and it certainly makes life easier when it comes to sizing.

I also do aluminium rings that just meet at the back and they also sell well, though people say they pinch if the gap's too big.

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 02:55 PM
That's such a pretty ring Alexandra :)

Thanks everyone. I feel some copper sheet experimentation coming on...

Rustic Charm
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM

not a very good examples of my work as a beginner pieces but i tend to make my adjustable rings with the gap at the front, if it has a larger design the adjustment can be hidden under it ,

AlexandraBuckle
06-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys (or gals even) :)
It'd be nice to see your experiments MzG when you'e done 'em.

Dano
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
option 3 with the gap at the front, and make the gap part of the design, like wrap the ends around each other like... oh dang this is gonna need a pic...

http://i30.tinypic.com/5yumu0.jpg

like that, does that make any sense at all? i need more tea :confused:

agent_44
06-09-2009, 07:47 PM
I like option a if the band is subatantial, to stop it digging in. I have a very chunky hill tribe ring I wear nearly all the time that's like that and it's very comfortable.

EmmaRose
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
:wwopics:
(OK been itching to use that).
Please post sketches George. (even quick biro doodle!)
Carole pics pretty pretty please [-o<
Jason, me ole duck, that happens to everyone.
Alexandra lurve that tiara ring, so so cute :-)
Adjustable rings great, I love the idea of hiding the "join" under the front.
Em

caroleallen
07-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I've put three crossover rings in my profile album

Ominicci
08-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Like the flower one! And the blue one is very clever as I suppose you can position the adjustable/unattached wire under the cab and it looks like part of the design!!

Love your display photo too!

AlexandraBuckle
08-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Alexandra lurve that tiara ring, so so cute :-)

Em

Aww thanks :)