PDA

View Full Version : Cookson Marketing Team Need Help

Stacey
18-09-2015, 10:56 AM
So a short while ago Cookson had a 10% of everything promotion (excluding precious metal products, etc.) followed by a 15% off everything. Hours after the 15% off everything promotion expired I get an email about a "secret" discount offer. Mine was a whopping 5% off everything (usual blah, blah applies).

Really now. The point of promotions is to make people happy and buy, isn't it? And there was me thinking that the "secret" was an even better offer than 15% ... like 20% of tools or consumables or finding or gosh, anything better than a 1/3 of your last offer.

With respect, someone needs to brush up on the basics of marketing.

mizgeorge
18-09-2015, 11:41 AM
My 'secret' was a freepost. Which is utterly worthless to me as I never, ever use them because it inevitably means a three day wait and hopeless courier company...

I agree, the endless offers and promotions are getting very tiresome. As is the relentless pushing of 'craft' supplies. I'd rather have a website with a decent search function...

Wallace
18-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I never got anything.

Would prefer good promotion of smithing tools and sorting out the search function too!

ps_bond
18-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Misread "smiting tools". Ach, same difference.

Wallace
18-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Misread "smiting tools". Ach, same difference.

haha totally! :rofl:

CJ57
18-09-2015, 12:23 PM
I got 5% discount but that always excludes precious metal based products so what good is that to us. TBF when I've ordered freepost recently it has arrived the next day. I think if comes by courier that's more likely.
Still waiting on a reply to the email I then had to send to Durston on Wed:/

enigma
18-09-2015, 01:45 PM
I have to say that I love Cooksons, far prefer them to other companies Ive used.
Nobody is perfect ;)

theresa
18-09-2015, 02:07 PM
I agree - It was a bit disappointing after the previous 15%

Stacey
18-09-2015, 02:22 PM
I have to say that I love Cooksons, far prefer them to other companies Ive used.
Nobody is perfect ;)

True, but it's Cookson's marketing that seems to have grown out of control. Less is more comes to mind. So does quality over quantity.

caroleallen
18-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I agree that I did smile a bit at the 5% but Cooksons have always been very fair to me.

medusa
19-09-2015, 10:52 AM
I think you can opt out of the email promotions. Given that precious metals are seldom discounted it could de-clutter one's mailbox :)

CJ57
19-09-2015, 11:28 AM
I think you can opt out of the email promotions. Given that precious metals are seldom discounted it could de-clutter one's mailbox :)
This is another case for a like button. The only time it's worth getting a reminder is if they have a discount on tools and Freepost which I took advantage off last week:/

Nick martin
20-09-2015, 07:21 AM
I'd love a substantial discount promo on high value tools instead of consumables tbh.

Another company that I sometimes use that I wont name for obvious reasons, actually gave me a huge discount on an expensive piece of equipment when I simply emailed them to say that a competitor ( albeit a dubious one at times ) was selling for over £100 less.

"No problem, you're a regular customer so we're happy to match the price and throw in free delivery too" was the response I got from this supplier.

I too love using Cooksons for certain supplies, but perhaps they need to vary their marketing a little from time to time in order to cater for crafts people, jewellers, and those looking to spend lots of money.

Cheers,

Nick

ps_bond
20-09-2015, 07:33 AM
On the discounting on precious metals - or lack thereof - the metals are subject to daily fluctuations due to the market, while tools and the like are not (they're often subject to currency fluctuations, but they're bought & sold on a much longer cycle).

pearlescence
20-09-2015, 08:01 AM
The impression given by any company which has too many sales is that their pricing is all over the place, possibly not reasonable in the first place (else why would they be able to afford all those discounts?) or they need some cash flow
Think sofa companies

ps_bond
20-09-2015, 08:05 AM
Craghoppers & SimplyLED are 2 that I use where I won't buy the products unless there's a decent discount - and I never have to wait all that long for the next one to come along. Very damaging to the brand; the real price subjectively becomes the discounted price and full price is artificially padded.

medusa
20-09-2015, 11:24 AM
This is another case for a like button. The only time it's worth getting a reminder is if they have a discount on tools and Freepost which I took advantage off last week:/

I'll post here next time I put in an order. It is a sure fire way of guaranteeing a freepost offer two to three days later.