PDA

View Full Version : Picture hosting

mizgeorge
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Could we have some guidance please from an admin about whether it's better to host pictures externally (no forum server space needed), or to use the upload feature?

I have to be honest and say I'd much rather have a bit of extra PM space (50 messages gets used up very quickly when it has to include all folders) and have to host pictures elsewhere or post links instead.

Thanks

Dano
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
not an admin, but speaking from personal experience of the UBB system this board uses and general interwebs procedures, it's generally implied that the actual board's hosting is more a last-ditch "if you really must" sort of feature.
it's generally better to host images on your own webspace or use a dedicated image hosting service because they've got all of the bandwidth and diskspace.

i'm gonna write up a quick guide thread on uploading and embedding images i think.

caroleallen
06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes please Dano, but please in really easy words of one syllable for the computer illiterate like me.

Di Sandland
06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I've replied in another post - perhaps we'd better sticky it!

dgrose
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
If you can host the pictures yourself, that would save on bandwidth, disk space... but if you don't have access to webspace / hosting facilities, by all means use the upload feature.
I've upped the PM space to 100 messages... hope this helps :)
Dave

ben b
07-09-2009, 08:17 PM

dgrose
08-09-2009, 07:20 AM
To upload images, you need to click on the paperclip icon just above the Insert Image icon. From there, you can browse your computer and upload images. Image size limits are also shown in this window. Once you have uploaded all the images you want, close that window.

You can insert the image into your message by placing the cursor where you want the image to appear, click on the paper clip again and select the filename of the image you want.

Dave