PDA

View Full Version : Firing Bronze Clay

lolly3fh
15-09-2015, 09:32 AM
I have been working with ACS and PMC for about 18 months, and am successfully "stove top" firing it.

I recently bought some Prometheus Bronze and Prometheus White Bronze clay. I know the white bronze has to be kiln fired, and I am having terrible trouble torch firing the bronze. I get the orange glow and hold it there fore 10 minutes, as per the instructions, but I just can't get it to sinter.

This is a hobby I do in my spare time, I just can't afford the expense of a kiln, and have nowhere to store one. Has anyone used one of these microwave kilns? I understand it's not an exact science and would take a degree of trial and error to work out firing times etc, and at £60 I don't want to buy one if they are not likely to work at all. If I knew that someone had had some success with one, I would probably be willing to try. I'd also have to buy a second microwave!

Failing that, I would welcome tips for torch firing, or recommendations for kiln firing services. I've found a place that will do it for £3 per piece, but I'd need to fire several small items at a time, so this would be quite costly for me. But I think this will probably be my only option for white bronze, something tells me that white bronze absolutely won't like a microwave kiln. I'm not sure about normal bronze though.

By the way, Prometheus claims it does not need to be fired in carbon.

oaykoc
26-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Hello,

You are right Prometheus White Bronze should be fired in a coconut based activated carbon. The firing instructions are available inside of each package.

The activated carbon firing has 2 stages;
1st stage : burning the piece at 500C for 15 minutes
2nd stage : firing the burned pieces in the activated carbon at 770C for 2 hours.

The Prometheus Bronze and Copper clays can be torch fired, you need to heat the pieces homogeneously and careful not melting the piece. I tried to add a youtube link but unfortunately i am not allowed by the forum right now. Please search the youtube videos with 'Prometheus Torch firing' keywords and you will easy get access to some videos. I hope, it would be helpful to you.

The open shelf firing method for PBC and PCC is very simple.

PBC
Heat your kiln to 830C and load your pieces into preheated kiln. Wait for your kiln to recover to 830C and count 30minutes. Once the time is over, you may quench your pieces into water or a Picklean solution to get rid of the most part of oxidation.

PCC
Heat your kiln to 920C and load your pieces into preheated kiln. Wait for your kiln to recover to 920C and count 30minutes. Once the time is over, you may quench your pieces into water or a Picklean solution to get rid of the most part of oxidation.