PDA

View Full Version : Moving during soldering - help!

squeekysqueeks
14-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Hello all, please help me, I am tearing my hair out. I am trying to solder a silver bangle. The joint was clean with no gaps but every time I tried to solder it the two ends moved apart from each other. This happened several times and I'm too scared to try it again! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dennis
14-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Dear Squeeky,

I'm not sure what equipment you have, but first of all please note that a bangle, even made from thin wire is able to loose heat as quickly as you can supply it, unless you have a torch with a big burner.
The burner is the tube the flame comes out of and the bigger it is the more heat it will give out.

Next , by heating at first from a point directly opposite the joint, the expansion will tend to keep the joint in contact during the process. This is often sufficient for small objects, such as rings, but bangles generally require an additional aid.

You can use binding wire on its own, applied across the circle, or threaded through a honeycomb block, so that the gap is prevented from opening. In my picture the joint is at the back and I have built a box with bricks to conserve the heat.

A more sophisticated method if you are doing lots of this, is to devise a clamp made from stainless steel strip, as described by James miller. Dennis

squeekysqueeks
14-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you, Dennis. It may be that I'm not applying enough heat then. I have a sievert but maybe it's on too low. I will be brave and try again. Thanks for the heat retaining tips too. I will start building! [emoji4]

CJ57
14-09-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm with Dennis, I would wire it with binding wire

squeekysqueeks
14-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Thank you. I have some so I'll give it a try x

Goldsmith
15-09-2015, 07:13 AM
If your bangle is made from round wire and you are unable to secure it with binding wire, you can also use clamps to hold the ends together like in these pics. If you are using flat wire then I would use binding wire to hold the joints together as others have suggested. The first photo is using the new titanium soldering clamps and the last 3 photos show my old stainless steel soldering clamps system. Clamps are bent from strips of titanium or steel. Titanium strips re available here in the UK from; http://tamizan.co.uk/knew-concept-saws/

James

CJ57
15-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Just a thought re sievert torch. If you are using the smallest nozzle then it probably isn't hot enough either. I don't think I've ever had mine out of the box. The next size up is the best all round nozzle for soldering and should cope with a bracelet until you get up to cuff size and then you would need more heat again.

squeekysqueeks
15-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Thank you so much everybody. I increased the heat on my torch and it seems to have worked. What a learning curve! So simple... Still, I like the look of those clamps [emoji4]

Dennis
15-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Well done, but the learning curve is for life. Dennis.

Nick martin
20-09-2015, 06:50 AM
The titanium soldering clamps are simple, very effective, and simple to make.

I use mine regularly since ordering some from James' link months ago.

Cheers,

Nick

Patstone
20-09-2015, 06:59 AM
Yes me too, I could do with making a few more.