PDA

View Full Version : Fireable CZ issues

Making a Mess!
14-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Hello everybody!

I was wondering if somebody might have a solution for me please? I use metal art clay and recently set a fireable CZ in a piece of jewellery, fired it and it was perfect. However during the polishing process, I've managed to scratch the surface so it now looks dull and has lost all the sparkle. Is there any way to get rid of the scratches and bring back the sparkle please?

I was wondering whether re-firing the piece might help? If not, is there some type of polish that might help?

Thanks in advance.

BarryM
14-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Refiring will not help, the surface is damaged. Depending on how badly the CZ is you MAY be able to polish out a single small scratch on one facet but it sounds like the stone is damaged beyond repair. The only solution would be to remove the stone and set a new one using flush setting or similar technique.
What metal was used? It may just be easier to start over and write it off to experience if the material cost is not too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making a Mess!
14-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Thanks Barry

I assumed that might be the case. Unfortunately it's flush set and I used metal art clay so it's been fired in place. Getting it out would be too problematic.

ps_bond
14-09-2015, 01:14 PM
A hammer and a tiny punch works well on inexpensive stones. Hold the punch just off the surface of the stone and give it a nice positive tap with a small hammer.

DODavid
14-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Very curious about how things are going to work out in the end. Keep us informed :)