PDA

View Full Version : Macro lens

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Morning all. I've been having problems with my Canon DSLR recently. I focus in and then press the button and watch it all go out of focus. I'm using a light box so I don't think lighting is the issue. I'm wondering whether I need a better lens. I know nothing about macro lenses and wonder if anyone can advise me on what to get please.

ps_bond
11-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Morning all. I've been having problems with my Canon DSLR recently. I focus in and then press the button and watch it all go out of focus. I'm using a light box so I don't think lighting is the issue. I'm wondering whether I need a better lens. I know nothing about macro lenses and wonder if anyone can advise me on what to get please.

If you can manually focus accurately, can you turn off the autofocus? I know my macro lens can't af at very short distances, but I usually use manual focus (or focus bracketing) anyway.
Canon have some good macro lenses; mostly it depends on what you want to shoot. I've got a Nikon 105mm (and a much older manual 55mm), Jura at the last count was using the Canon 105mm but if you want to shoot larger objects then a shorter lens (80? 85mm?) or moving further back. Sigma and Tamron have some excellent options too.

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Thanks Peter. I'm not using autofocus. Sometimes it focuses fine and then sometimes it just won't work for love nor money. There are times when it just won't take the photo so I switch off for a while and then go back to it and its fine. I just can't work out what's going on.

Dennis
11-09-2015, 09:03 AM
As Peter has said, you can manual focus, and if you are using your screen, there should be a button top right to increase the size of the image, which makes it easier to see.

Automatic focus keeps shifting for two reasons:
1. Your camera is a fraction too close and so can't focus.
2. The part you are focussing on is all white, or all one colour, so that the camera can't find a subject. Regards, Dennis.

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 09:19 AM
I sometimes find that if I have other props in the image, they look well focused, yet the thing I am focusing on doesn't.

ps_bond
11-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Per Dennis' comment, I also use live view to check focus quite a lot - switch the camera to live, then digitally zoom in on the area of interest. While the camera's on a tripod, naturally.
Speaking of which - assuming yours is, vibration reduction is switched off isn't it?
On some of the more automatic modes mine won't take photos until everything is just right. Similarly, if I forget I've left it on remote release mode and I press the shutter release it takes a moment of head-scratching to work out why it won't take the shot...

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Oh dear, there's so much to learn! I don't know if vibration reduction is switched off. I don't use remote release.

I use the delay function (what is the correct term?!) and I have it on a tripod.

I also didn't know about live view, so I'll check that out.

ps_bond
11-09-2015, 10:09 AM
VR is great if you're hand-holding, the extra stability gives a little more latitude on longer exposures. On a tripod it'll fight though as there's nothing (ish) to stabilise. On Nikons the VR is a controlled by a switch on the lens (and not all lenses have it); no idea on Canon.
Delay is good, it's a decent alternative to using a remote.

Goldsmith
11-09-2015, 10:12 AM
May I ask the model number of your Canon DSLR and the lens you are using Carole?

James

ps_bond
11-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Some talk on IS/VR - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/image-stabilization-when-use-it-and-when-turn-it

Dennis
11-09-2015, 11:33 AM
The truth is Carole, that the autofocus function is easily distracted by:

Quirks of lighting,
Repetitive patterns,
Backlit or reflective objects and
Near and far objects being coveted by the same autofocus point. (This is quoted from the manual)

Most of your problems would vanish if you used manual focus, because you could select exactly what you want to show. What's more, if you can magnify your image on the screen x5 or x10, as mentioned above it is really easy to do. Dennis.

Nick martin
11-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Hi Carole,

As a keen photographer and an ardent Canon DSLR user, I've a few pointers that might help.

I use a Canon 100mm L Macro lens and its superb. If yours is like mine, then it'll be able to focus at very close range.

However... no matter how good the lens or the camera, bear in mind that things such as darkness and definately strong specular highlights and reflections can knock the focusing system off!

Most cameras autofocus system works by detecting differences in contrast. So if you were trying to focus on a sharp dark edge, set against a light background then the camera would do this no problem. If you were trying to focus on the centre of a diamond under strong lighting, and set against a bright background then it may well struggle.

Best thing to do is as per Peter & Dennis suggestion of either using the screen on the back of the DSLR to manually focus ( larger area to view, therefore easier to see )
Alternatively use a larger aperature ( F8 perhaps ) to focus on a constrasty bit of your piece thats on the same plane as the area you want in focus, then press focus lock. Or if like on my Canon 70D, hold the shutter button halfway down to lock focus. Then with focus locked, recompose the shot to centre the bit you want in the frame, then press the shutter button fully.

If I were you Id always use a tripod and if you havent got a remote, then use disable 'lens stabilisation' on the lens barrel. Then use 'mirror lockup' in the menu system. Then change 'drive' to the timer option of either 3 - 10 secs.

This way you'll get the sharpest image possible.

Cheers,

Nick

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I have a 1000D. Wow, that lens is expensive Nick!

I've disabled lens stabilisation. I can't find "vibration reduction" anywhere. Is that the same thing?

I've tried to set live view following online instructions but I can't get it to work. Very frustrating!

ps_bond
11-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Sorry Carol - IS is Canon, VR is Nikon; same thing regardless of badge.

ShinyLauren
13-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Hi Carole,

I have a Canon 550d and the same macro lens as Nick. Through a combination of January sales, Canon cashback offers and shipping it to my mum so the VAT was knocked off, I managed to get a significant discount. The price was still eyewatering though! It is an excellent lens.

I use the live view screen, zoom it in to 5x or 10x to the bit I want to focus on and use the manual focus ring, then I use a cable release to press the shutter. Same effect as the delay timer you're using.

Check your tripod is very solid - even the tiniest wibble can knock out delicate focus.

Saw an amazing light box setup at IJL but it was £3k!!!

ShinyLauren
13-09-2015, 08:50 AM
You should be able to enable live view in your menu, then just use the button on the camera to switch to live view. You can only use live view on some camera settings as far as I recall, so on manual or aperture priority but not auto. I think it's also only available on manual focus.

You can't have live view on constantly either, it will keep switching it back to viewfinder after a set number of seconds so you keep having to press the button to switch back to live view.

Hope that makes sense!