PDA

View Full Version : bad day :(

marna
10-09-2015, 08:12 PM
So today (AM) I broke FOUR drill bits (after breaking no drill bits in at least three months - I am pretty sure that I tensed up a bit more after each break) and today (PM) I melted probably beyond salvage a shawl pin mount at the final solder. That final pallion of solder would not flow for some mystery reason, and instead of pulling back and having a cup of tea, and then cleaning and fluxing again and giving it another go I got stubborn and kept the torch on for *far* too long in the hope it would flow. And of course, what happened was that *everything* started to flow.

Moral of the story: when things start going wrong stop and have a cup of tea and a hug of a cat or something like that.

CJ57
10-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Oh dear, the workshop gremlins have been playing with you today:/ I think we have all done the melting bit, you become fixated with the pallion of solder and take your eye off the rest of the piece. That's when you know it's time to take a break or give up for the day

Patstone
11-09-2015, 06:33 AM
That happened to me a few weeks ago, I then put the remains in a lot on my bench and left them. Yesterday I cut a pieçe of square silver and put the scrumpled up remains on it and it looked good as a pendant so I soldered it on and it soldered first time. Moral to this story, when sh.. happens walk away and try again another day cos you can guarantee that everything you try and solder that day will melt.

caroleallen
11-09-2015, 08:37 AM
If only I learned from my mistakes!

more534
14-09-2015, 10:09 PM
well, that just means you're good for a whole 'nuther year or more. :)

I haven't been posting at all, but have been reading and really appreciate all my new-found knowledge.
and have been working on improving my soldering techniques.

vernon
17-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Don't you just hate that. Also don't get stubborn- I have before and restart! really annoying.

Nick martin
19-09-2015, 07:26 AM
Taking a break and having a re-think is a GREAT idea as you say, and as I have unfortunately found out myself!

I made a similar mistake last month. Tried my best to solder a gold ring I'd been working on, but the solder wouldn't flow.

Then when it did flow ( and it was too late ) I realsied I'd used thin gold wire instead of my thin gold 'solder' wire to join the damn thing!

Cheers,

Nick

metalsmith
22-09-2015, 10:17 AM
But to turn this on its head and look on the bright side a little, does anyone else get 'solder joy'? I'm sure you do!!

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being a smug git, I've made many many soldering faux pas by now - and the other day I got more than my three months worth of broken piercing blades!! =:-O

Sammyjean
22-09-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm glad its not just me! I have to walk away and re focus and come back to it more composed. And yes, my kitten comes in very useful in this scenario too!!

CJ57
22-09-2015, 11:23 AM
But to turn this on its head and look on the bright side a little, does anyone else get 'solder joy'? I'm sure you do!!

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being a smug git, I've made many many soldering faux pas by now - and the other day I got more than my three months worth of broken piercing blades!! =:-O

I like soldering because there is great satisfaction when it goes right and you've got lovely joints. It's usually the piddling little jobs that should take seconds that don't work and have me pouring with sweat!

metalsmith
24-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I like soldering because there is great satisfaction when it goes right and you've got lovely joints.

Yes - I was proudly showing the Mrs a bezel where the solder just crept all the way around following the join - but as far as she was concerned it was just a small piece of burned metal! But when its finished ...

metalsmith
29-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Piercing saw blades ... grrrrrrr :'(

I know they say one shouldn't blame ones' tools, but I glad them blimmin' blades have run out and I can try some others.

I snap SDS chisel bits too so a piercing saw has no chance! I think I just have naturally heavy hands #-o

Blades 5 ... metalsmith 0

LydiaNiz
29-09-2015, 07:49 PM
I love it when anything solders perfectly. I get special happies from simply soldering a bezel to a base and seeing it all flow where it should :-)
My studio is a few miles from home, so I get really fed up when I have to call it a day due to thumb fingers, but some days, the mojo just isn't firing.

DODavid
14-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Felt just like that when I first learned how to ride a bike... I guess we just can't stop falling on life.