PDA

View Full Version : My new work

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Hi,

A rubbish picture of my new work. Please let me know what you think before I start to make more. Honest answers only please.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3519/3890326050_ddb1a78367.jpg

mizgeorge
05-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I like that very much indeed :)

Please tell more about the wing texturing!

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 05:08 PM
The wings are textured with the rolling mill, then enamelled and oxidised.

Kalorlo
05-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I love it. I like the texturing on the wings and the way it makes the body stand out. I especially like the way the body looks fluid and still-molten. It's just a really pleasing shape. The wings make me think of moss - moss-dragonfly :)

amazingbabe
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
That is so so gorgeous, totally loving the textured wings xx Just had a look at your website, it is fab. The bleujenn earrings did you buy those flowers or did you make them , i have been trying to make flowers by hand myself but it aint turning out too well, if i could buy them it would be great xx

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys.

Sorry Gayle, as far as I know you can't buy those flowers. It's wonderful what you can do though with an RT blanking system!

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Carole, this is fabulous. If I had one concern - and I am being totally picky here - its that the wings could be a little wider, or the body a little thinner. But that's all.

MuranoSilver
05-09-2009, 06:29 PM
I love the idea for the design but think the ratio might need adjusting..
Here's a stumpy version I knocked up on photoshop...maybe somewhere in between?
nic

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try stumpy and see which sells best. I don't really want to make the body with thinner wire though as it needs to be strong.

kymbi
05-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Oooh, I like the texture on the wings, it's lovely :)

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll try stumpy and see which sells best. I don't really want to make the body with thinner wire though as it needs to be strong.

Ah, don't call her Stumpy, she'll get a complex

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Heehee! That's funny! :)

agent_44
05-09-2009, 07:53 PM
That's lovely Carole! I agree though that the balance might be better if the body was a little shorter.

Bernie
05-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Honestly? I think it's absolutely beautiful. :)

Emerald
05-09-2009, 08:05 PM
I love it but i think keep the body almost as long and perhaps taper it instead of the rounded bit at the bottom:Y::)

lesley
05-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I think that's gorgeous - love the curve in the body.:)

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I think I'll try making the body a little shorter and taper the end. I'll do it tomorrow and show you the result. Trouble is, I can't please everyone :(|

Emerald
05-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I think I'll try making the body a little shorter and taper the end. I'll do it tomorrow and show you the result. Trouble is, I can't please everyone :(|

Lol, its stunning Carole and it just make me realise how rusty i have gone not working for the last 10 years, i can stilll saw pierce though without breaking all my blades in 5 mins which is a relief, you really dont need to do anything to it but you did ask:-"

agent_44
05-09-2009, 10:44 PM

As long as you please yourself, that's what matters!

caroleallen
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
As long as you please yourself, that's what matters!

I really value everyone's input as sometimes it's difficult to see yourself when something's not quite right and lots of pairs of eyes are better than one. *-:)

Di Sandland
06-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I really value everyone's input as sometimes it's difficult to see yourself when something's not quite right and lots of pairs of eyes are better than one. *-:)

I agree but sometimes it can be painful - I always think twice when somebody asks for honesty because I hate to hurt feelings. I will only be honest if I think they really mean it; if I'm unsure I stay silent!

caroleallen
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I know what you mean, if I really hate something, I stay quiet. If it's something that just needs a little tweak to make it better, I will say so.

It's really difficult though as you may crush someone who's just starting out and they'll lose confidence.

I really did want constructive criticism though, as if I make loads of them and then they're not popular, it's a waste of time and materials.

I suppose I have enough confidence in my work as I've been going for quite a while not to be absolutely gutted if someone says they don't like something.
It would be unrealistic though to expect everyone to like my style of work.
It's just as well that we all have different tastes as our work would get so boring.

geti-titanium
06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
It would be unrealistic though to expect everyone to like my style of work.

'Nail on the head' moment there.

I personally like it in the original length and the stumpy length.

Paula
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I am loving that and i love the texture that the wings have.

The Dragon
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I really love it, my business is called 'dragonfly' because I think they are beautiful. I like what you've done with the enamel. I've just bought a book on the process so it's great to see what is possible.

As to the body length - mmmm I think you may get away with both versions. The shorter version will have slightly better balance but the longer version comes across as a stylised impression and as you haven't gone for the obvious irredescent colouring I think it works.

:Y:

Lindyloo
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
I love it too. The wings are gorgeous, and I can imagine a whole lovely line of insects and flowers in that style. I think the stumpy version will probably sell better, but personally, I think the longer one is so stylish.

Ominicci
07-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I love that too, and my only comment would have been about the length of the body being a bit too long as well.