PDA

View Full Version : Meiji emz 5

mikethejeweller
21-08-2015, 10:55 PM
Just bought a used Meiji emz 5, I'm hoping to start learning the art of micro setting. It comes with 10x eyepieces and light I just need to get an objective lens and was wondering which one to go for. I see most engravers use 0.5x was wondering if this is what most setter use or would it be better to go for a 0.44 or 0.3, all suggestions welcome, thanks mike

ps_bond
22-08-2015, 06:38 AM
The EMZ 5 has a 0.7-4.5 objective as standard, doesn't it? That gives you 7-45x mag with 10x eyepieces (my Nikon has a 0.66-4x objective).

If you mean an auxiliary lens, usually a Barlowe lens, then it's there only to increase the working distance - 0.5x will give less of an increase in working distance than a 0.44, but obviously you'll lose more magnification (and you lose image quality as you're bunging another lens in the optical path). 0.33 will limit your top end to about 15x which is a bit low IMO. Remember a lot of the engravers using Barlowes are working on things like firearms, which often have sticky out bits.

I'd try it without and see if you have enough room to work under the scope first (and that your scope is a comfortable height for ergonomics - *very* important if you're spending much time sat at it).

Gemsetterchris
22-08-2015, 07:11 AM
The norm is 0.5 barlow? which halves the magnification & increases the working distance.
You should end up with about 10-15 cms of working space which is ok for jewellery.
The magnification ends up around x3 - x20 which is more than plenty.

Just double check what the scopes sold at the jewellery tool suppliers are set up with & you should be fine with that.

There is abit of a learning curve to using a scope, but persevere & it`ll be quick & easy in no time.

Also, once you are comfy, you`ll want a microblock & step raisers (or similar), so you can quickly slide & get the work back in focus as you work.
Takes a few seconds to adjust once you get the hang of it, quite abit of a hassle if you have a static clamp or pin though (not recommended).