PDA

View Full Version : The reason for doing it.

geti-titanium
05-09-2009, 10:15 AM
I think one of the greatest pleasures of making jewellery it the response you get when it is received.

I moved into jewellery manufacture by accident really, coming from an engineering background making precision components for other companies to pretty things for individuals.

In all the time in engineering we never had so much as a thank you for doing what we did - at best, all we got was moaning because components, even when produced quickly at the drop of a hat, weren't quick enough.

Now we get gems like this come through the email system:

Hi There
We received the ring this morning (Titanium Morse Code Ring) and it is awesome. It is the perfect fit thanks to all of the ring sizers you sent. I just wanted to say thank you so much because it has been a pleasure to deal with you and we are so pleased with the lovely ring that we have received.
We will recommend you to anybody looking for great value, great quality rings!

Makes it all worth while.

bustagasket
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Praise indeed hun, congratulations :D

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I agree, it does make it worthwhile. That's the only reason I do craft fairs as it gives me a lift every time someone says something nice.

Ominicci
05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Well done!! And the fact that someone is going to be wearing it, loving it and it will be on show to other people is part of the 'job satisfaction' for me.

kymbi
05-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Great feedback, I bet you are chuffed :)

I work at craft markets weekly and I love the interaction with the customers - it's great when someone buys one of your pieces, but when they come back and buy another I get such a lift.

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
What I love is waking up on Christmas morning knowing that hundreds of people will be opening presents made by me (and hopefully liking them!).

ben b
05-09-2009, 08:01 PM

bustagasket
05-09-2009, 08:27 PM
What I love is waking up on Christmas morning knowing that hundreds of people will be opening presents made by me (and hopefully liking them!).

oh wow i would love for someone to buy something of mine and someone be able to enjoy it as a christmas pressie. Dreams of the future :D

caroleallen
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Don't worry Su, it won't be long before you'll be selling loads. I never thought it would happen either.

Dano
05-09-2009, 10:49 PM
my reason... i used to do art in college and i hated that there always had to be a reason for things, you couldn't do anything cause you thought it might look nice, everything had to be for a reason. One of my projects took me to the metal workshop in LCAD and i got talking to students and using some of the tools and i realized this was it, i could make things for no reason other than i thought they looked good and if people agreed with me on that subject they would give me money for it. it's purer.

The Dragon
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
At first I did it because it was a way of escaping everything going on around me. I was so totally engrossed in what I was doing it was almost like being in therapy - my job can be a tad stressful at times.

Then I carried on doing it because I loved the feeling you get when you look at a piece of work and you realise that you've taken a tiny part of you and made it into something beautiful (hopefully) and that is unique because no two minds think exactly alike. That someone else likes it and wants to buy it is just an added bonus for me but then I have only just started selling me work.

:dance: