PDA

View Full Version : GRS Benchmate

sallydavies276
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Hi I'm hoping with the imminent arrival of the new GRS system, that someone will be upgrading and therefore looking to sell their old one. If anyone is considering parting with theirs, please contact me, many thanks! :)

ps_bond
12-08-2015, 06:46 PM
I've got to admit, I can't quite see the point in upgrading mine. I don't use it under the scope (I use a microblock then), so the height adjustment doesn't make any difference (and I have a multi-level plate); the ring clamp is a subtle improvement, but again not really enough to warrant paying out for a new one... I can think of other tools that'd be a better use of the money for me. Each to their own though - and I'm sure GRS would rather we all bought the new one!

theresa
13-08-2015, 01:02 PM
There's one for sale on Ebay at £140

Aurarius
13-08-2015, 03:03 PM
There's one for sale on Ebay at £140
That Ebay seller is either a bit dim or is not giving the real reason why s/he's selling. The only difference between the left-hand and the right-hand version is the bolt-on hand rest, which can be had for £13 in either left or right versions as an optional extra. Most people don't use the hand rest anyway as it tends to get in the way.
ETA: Just for the record, there is one other difference if you buy the right-hand version and discover you need the other or vice versa: you will have to have the logo on the ring clamp collar facing the back rather than towards you because the two holes on either side have different threads. Most people can probably live with that.

sallydavies276
13-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Thank you all, I have bid and am keeping everything crossed it doesn't go too high! I think it's worth a punt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patstone
13-08-2015, 04:02 PM
I have had one for about 5 years and although fixed on my bench I have used it about half a dozen times.

ShinyLauren
16-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I use mine all the time and love it!

caroleallen
16-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I don't do a lot of stone setting but when I do, out comes my trusty GRS. Why do others not use theirs?

Aurarius
16-08-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't do a lot of stone setting but when I do, out comes my trusty GRS. Why do others not use theirs?
Either because they don't do a lot of setting or they're happy to get by using a dopstick for most purposes, I'd imagine.
Being somewhat defective in the arm department and needing all the help I can get with work holding, I find the Benchmate system a godsend.

Patstone
16-08-2015, 05:17 PM
I dont use my benchpeg much either. I think that it was probably because when I went to the 10 week college course, they didnt have a benchpeg, you just worked on your desk, so I didnt have one to make stuff with. When I set up first I didnt have one, so got used to not using one from the start.

Wallace
16-08-2015, 06:24 PM
dop stick in my case is drop stick!

GRS every time, but now I have the little one that sits in a dedicated area for stone setting. My bench mate and I haven't fallen out, it is really good for holding small things I need to file.

caroleallen
16-08-2015, 06:48 PM
I dont use my benchpeg much either. I think that it was probably because when I went to the 10 week college course, they didnt have a benchpeg, you just worked on your desk, so I didnt have one to make stuff with. When I set up first I didnt have one, so got used to not using one from the start.

What do you use for piercing Pat?

CJ57
16-08-2015, 07:20 PM
I have 2 bench pegs, for some reason sometimes I find it easier to work on the one on the left edge of the curve. I couldn't imagine how I'd work without one

caroleallen
16-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I do absolutely everything on my bench peg. Couldn't manage without it.

sallydavies276
16-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Thank you all, I managed to buy the one on Facebook so looking forward to trying it out! It did go a little higher than I'd hoped but at least I don't have to wait an age for one from US!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurarius
16-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Thank you all, I managed to buy the one on Facebook so looking forward to trying it out! It did go a little higher than I'd hoped but at least I don't have to wait an age for one from US!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you have to get one from the US? They're available here from GRS stockists.

sallydavies276
17-08-2015, 05:45 AM
The cost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikethejeweller
17-08-2015, 02:51 PM
Hi Mr bond do you mind me asking what scope and stand set up you use? Thanks mike

ps_bond
17-08-2015, 02:58 PM
I have an elderly Nikon SMZ10 scope mounted on an articulated stand the origin of which I can't remember. Might have been an Amscope?
Ideally, I'd like the scope on a separate bench with a fixed boom stand, but that'll have to wait.

Patstone
17-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Carole, I use it then, but tend to hold things in pliers to cut wire etc, and sheet I snip with cutters then file smooth after. My piercing is rubbish, break blades for a pastime. I think it may be something to do with not having a left eye, so everything is not quite straight and of course it puts the blade under undue tension. Try closing one eye and see what I mean.

Aurarius
19-08-2015, 07:45 PM
The cost!

Have you factored in the 20% VAT and the courier's handling fee?