PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Soldering Fail

cartres
11-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to silversmithing, allot of what I know is from trial and error and google. Recently I agreed to make some personalised hoops with messages. The first 6 I made I had no issues with, then suddenly for the last few days I seem to be going round in circles. Every time I solder the hoops and try to form the shape in to a circle the joints splits open. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you :)

caroleallen
11-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I love your comment about "going round in circles"!

I would suggest you solder the joins and then cut through with a piercing saw before soldering again. You may need to open the ring sideways and re-close it, adding a bit more tension.

cartres
11-08-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi Carol,

Thank you for your reply. I have tried what you suggested. The joints seem to be flush with no visible light coming through. Could there be any other reason?

CJ57
11-08-2015, 06:27 PM
The only other things might be joints not cleaned properly, the hoops not heated sufficiently and the solder is only melting but not bonding the 2 ends but as you've already made a few I can't see why this should happen. Maybe try wiring the hoop up with binding wire and give it another try

Dennis
11-08-2015, 06:47 PM
cartres, the information available is incomplete:

Are they earring hoops and what size?
What metal are you using?
Are you using paste solder?

As a rule of thumb, I find that first ever efforts sometimes succeed because you are being ultra careful. Subsequently as you gain confidence you go at it in a more rushed way using too much concentrated heat instead of slowing down and moving the flame around, to allow the whole piece to come up to soldering temperature.

Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

caroleallen
11-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Sometimes when you've heated the silver again and again it become very soft and loses its tension. I would do what Caroline suggests and use binding wire to hold the join together.

pearlescence
11-08-2015, 09:07 PM
You need to make sure that the metal in the joint is clean and bright and uncontaminated. It isn't just a matter of bunging in more flux and solder. It has to be clean. there are no shortcuts.
A good way to get a clean and close joint in a round is to squeeze the two halves together and saw through the joint. you'll clean it up and make sure it is all touching
It's tiresome, but there is only one right way to solder..and it is the right way. no shortcuts

susieq
11-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Welcome to the forum Cartres.

Just wondered whether it's possible you're quenching too soon? A sudden change in temperature can cause the solder joint to fracture but you wouldn't necessarily notice it until you come to round it up on the mandrel.

Susie