PDA

View Full Version : Unravelling Omega necklet ?

CJ57
05-08-2015, 11:56 AM
A customer got in touch a couple of days ago, this had happened to the Omega necklet on her pendant 'after wearing a couple of times' .
I'm having to replace it of course but am I the only one thinking that you can't unravel a necklet without yanking it quite hard or catching it in some way. The pendant isn't too heavy for it and I've worn its sister pendant quite a few times recently. There is no kink or damage along the length of the necklet and I definitely didn't sell it like this

SteveLAO
05-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Looks like its been stretched doesn't it? I used to sell hundreds of these and have never seen that before!!

CJ57
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Me neither Steve, she must have caught it in clothing or hair although that would have hurt to be yanked so hard!!

SteveLAO
05-08-2015, 12:32 PM
ill bet it was caught in the teeth of a hair brush!

CJ57
05-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Maybe. I usually add a ring as they are so fiddly but I obviously was in a rush. The only other thing I can think is she thought she'd undone it and pulled the 2 ends apart still fastened. Why can't people just be honest.

enigma
05-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Why can't people just be honest.

Because they think if they are honest they will be charged but if they lie they won't.
Some people also seem to think jewellery should be indestructible the way they treat it…...

CJ57
05-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Ha ha! Hadn't thought to look at the catch end. The jump ring is now almost triangular but as its soldered, something I wouldn't do for this reason, it held fast.
Good job they aren't as expensive as they once were

ajda
05-08-2015, 01:50 PM
ill bet it was caught in the teeth of a hair brush!
...or the teeth of a chihuahua who mistook it for a snake?

Wallace
05-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Ha ha! Hadn't thought to look at the catch end. The jump ring is now almost triangular but as its soldered, something I wouldn't do for this reason, it held fast.
Good job they aren't as expensive as they once were

well, there is a clear example of explaining that unless the postie, a cthulhu, or the dog chewed it - then it was not a design fault! So cheeky given the evidence of the chain end!

CJ57
05-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Indeed. I will grit my teeth, replace it once the pendant arrives, put the pendant on add a bolt ring for ease but not the requested bigger clasp and return

Tabby66
05-08-2015, 09:13 PM
I would definitely say stretched Caroline, as has already been agreed......just how can lead to all kinds of entertaining speculation!!

Given the misshaped jump ring, I think, when received back, I would send an email/note with replacement, that on examination, the piece appears to have been caught/stretched and obviously any piece of jewellery/chain will distort/stretch/break given those circumstances. You would expect due care to be taken of pieces. If faulty you would never hesitate to replace......

That can probably be worded better, but you get the gist.....:">

Aurarius
06-08-2015, 01:53 AM
That chain has suffered violence, without a doubt.

As Jill suggests, after agreeing to mend/replace (but possibly before returning) I'd ask the owner how it broke exactly. I'd want to know the circumstances, and if she insists it just fell apart, then would be a good time to point out the tell-tale signs of trauma on the chain.

The customer has made you feel uncomfortable when the evidence suggests she's the one who should be made to feel uncomfortable about this.

CJ57
06-08-2015, 11:09 AM
That chain has suffered violence, without a doubt.

As Jill suggests, after agreeing to mend/replace (but possibly before returning) I'd ask the owner how it broke exactly. I'd want to know the circumstances, and if she insists it just fell apart, then would be a good time to point out the tell-tale signs of trauma on the chain.

The customer has made you feel uncomfortable when the evidence suggests she's the one who should be made to feel uncomfortable about this.

This is what she said 'It was a birthday gift and I've worn it a couple of times and the chain by the clip is starting to come away - I wonder if you can please repair it for me? ' there was also a flattery sentence of pretty necklace.
I've told her how unusual, unlikely even this is and never before heard of but she has kept very quiet on that.
I'll replace and return with a note to say on inspection on both ends and with distortion of the opposite jump ring that there has been at some point some sort of accident to the necklet, caught or pulled on which has resulted in it unravelling. By the very nature of the manufacture this wouldn't happen with normal wear.
So much for new customers and hoped for repeat customer:/

CJ57
17-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Oh well, returned the replaced necklet with added jump ring for ease of fastening. Enclosed letter as advised saying that it had obviously had an accident of some sort and had been pulled apart to cause such damage. She emailed today to say it had arrived safely and thank you for replacing it. Then you go that's what we are here for!

SteveLAO
17-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Customer service is what it's all about. I guess she and you both know what really happened, but as you didn't kick up a huge fuss and refuse to do anything about it, you've kept a happy customer =D>

CJ57
17-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Let's hope she comes back next year as it had taken them 10 years to find the Open Studio event!