PDA

View Full Version : fusing sterling question

more534
03-08-2015, 11:25 AM
I started a search, but no luck.
so if I want to fuse some sterling to more sterling, do I flux, or not flux?
no books I read ever say anything specifically about it.

thankyou!

Patstone
03-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Well I would give it a slight sanding first then flux.

more534
03-08-2015, 12:35 PM
thankyou. I'm learning slowly with very simple pieces.

I have to bake a peach pie first, then I'll move on to the silver. I'm putting off housework. It's GREAT having a new hobby!

Dennis
03-08-2015, 12:55 PM
I started a search, but no luck.
so if I want to fuse some sterling to more sterling, do I flux, or not flux?
no books I read ever say anything specifically about it.

thankyou!

There is some useful information about this in The Workbench Guide To Jewellery Techniques, by Anastasia Young and also in Jewellery Concepts And Technology by Oppi Untracht.

Generally fusing of sterling is a little unpredictable and it is easier to solder, or sweat solder. Notable exceptions are the fusion of small balls in granulation and the making of seamless bezels from fine silver. Dennis.

CJ57
03-08-2015, 01:10 PM
thankyou. I'm learning slowly with very simple pieces.

I have to bake a peach pie first, then I'll move on to the silver. I'm putting off housework. It's GREAT having a new hobby!

I thought baking a peach pie was a new technique that I hadn't heard of ;)

more534
04-08-2015, 01:32 AM
Peach pie is VERY technical, and intuitive. Some peach pies are superior to others even if you do exactly the same thing, with exactly the same ingredients.
this year's pie came out about an 8 out of 10.
I might have to make another one next week.

I rearranged ALL the furniture in my apt today, so no silverwork. I started when I put the pie in the oven, thinking I would just move around a couple of things.

HA. turned into a marathon of redecorating. But its more organized and I found a few things I'ld forgotten I owned.
I can get the Utrecht book at the library! thanks for the title, Dennis!

CJ57

That could be MY username.