PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Jump Rings

Lucie
24-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know where I can get hold of 6mm or 7mm platinum jump rings?
I've checked all the usual places and can only seem to find 4mm ones.

ps_bond
24-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Why not make them?

Lucie
24-07-2015, 12:22 PM
Think I'm going to have to.
I mostly work in gold and only ever need one or two platinum ones for the odd commission, so it's just a bit of a pain.

ps_bond
24-07-2015, 12:27 PM
If you're not geared up for joining Pt, I am... Making just a few jump rings won't take you much time but be cautious about cross contamination.

Lucie
24-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Wow, thanks Peter. I'm just costing out the ladies quote now, so not sure whether she'll go ahead just yet.
It's going to be for 2 pendants using 22g of platinum, so I'm going over the calculations for about the 100th time to make sure I haven't made any mistakes.

You don't happen to know whether platinum hallmarking has any hidden costs over and above usual 9ct or 18ct gold?

Tabby66
24-07-2015, 08:18 PM
I quoted for a couple of platinum rings yesterday, so I know what you mean about re-checking.......pricey stuff!!
No extra charges for hallmarking platinum, obviously on a separate assay note to other metals.

Lucie
25-07-2015, 09:18 AM
I quoted for a couple of platinum rings yesterday, so I know what you mean about re-checking.......pricey stuff!!
No extra charges for hallmarking platinum, obviously on a separate assay note to other metals.

Thanks for that Jill :) I thought that was probably right, but the Birmingham Assay office all clear off home at 1pm on Friday, so I couldn't double check.
It looks like she's going ahead with one pendant for now. Nerves keep me on my toes - I like to maintain a healthy level of "constantly stressed" ;)