PDA

View Full Version : Bolting Down a Rolling Mill

NFSilver Jewellery
21-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum so please accept my apologies if this has already been posted.

I have a Cookson Value rolling mill and need to screw it down to something so I am able to use it.
I currently have a small 6x4 plastic shed that is not adequate for working in but this is all I can afford right now so as you can imagine, it is incredibly cramped and barely have room to swing a blow torch let alone a rolling mill!!

All my tools are on my bench as I am unable to put them on the walls of the plastic shed and also there would not be enough room to move the handle around so bolting the mill to the bench is out of the question.

I use my rolling mill by taking it outside of the shed and putting it on a surface to attempt to use it but as you can imagine, the mill just moves around and is a nightmare to work with effectivley.

Does anyone have any tips/advice on what I could use to put my mill on to so I am able to use it without wanting to throw it in the bin out of frustration?!

Thanks in advance

Natalie

ps_bond
21-07-2015, 12:10 PM
2 quick options - bolt the mill to a slab of thick plywood and G cramp it to the bench only when you need to use it;
Bolt it to an Ikea butcher's trolley - it's what I used before getting a ridiculously large mill.

Appreciate neither one may be right for you, but it's a start point.

NFSilver Jewellery
21-07-2015, 01:43 PM
Thank you Peter.
I think the butchers trolley would be the best idea its just finding somewhere to put it when its not being used.
Would the trolley not move around aswell?
The obvious option is to get a bigger workshop and screw the trolley into the floor, but my continous nagging to the parents about getting it done is falling on deaf ears (mothers husband is a carpenter and doesn't want anyone else making it) :(|

Thanks for the advice

Natalie

LorryFizz
01-08-2015, 07:21 AM
I bolted mine onto an old pine bedside cabinate, it's fairly heavy so doesn't move much, doesn't take up much space, and the drawers can be used for storage. :)

NFSilver Jewellery
01-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Thank you LorryFizz ��

Dennis
01-08-2015, 09:34 AM
When I first started, I worked in a corner of our living room and the new beautiful Durston was on our sideboard mounted as shown. I thought of it as a kind of sculpture.

To use it I moved it onto my work surface. It has been used like that ever since in several locations, but never clamped down. This has disciplined me to close the rollers down in small increments, and never overload it. It is probably my most used large tool. Dennis.

vernon
03-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I have mine mounted on the side of the workbench which is an old piece of kitchen worktop, it is a little cramped as I am in the conservatory but I use it so much. Bolt it down to whatever you fix it to as you can put quite a load on the mounting particularly if you roll wide flat metal.

enigma
03-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Mine is on the dining room table with G clamps on an oak board, I can move it easily but I think it looks rather fetching LOL