PDA

View Full Version : Reclaimed Copper (WIP)

The Bijou Dragon
04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
I never saw the appeal on heaving huge dirty pieces of copper and brass home to make into jewellery, it's just never been my thing despite the fact I am a self-sufficient, tree hugging eco-friendly kinda gal!

Well... that was until Mr Dragon cut off a piece of the end of some copper pipe he was using last night and my creativeness went ballistic!

I actually love the colour of clean, shiny copper so I had a play about with a piece which led me onto making this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3886747829/

It's not finished yet but it will be soon and it's set me onto a path of discovery to see what I can create using reclaimed metals. :Y:

MuranoSilver
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
See soon you'll be taking Peters advice and salvaging copper all over the place...What will the new range be called?? Perhaps "Abode" in honour of your dads shed ;)

The Bijou Dragon
04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Abode is cool... I don't think 'SHED' would cut it...

Can you imagine showing it off... "and this is my shed range" heehee :D

Charlotte
04-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Copper is so good to work with, the only thing I don't like is the silver solder splotches. I love using brass too even though its a bit tougher, only problem is it tarnishes so quickly:N:

The Bijou Dragon
04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah I'm going to be trying to avoid anything that needs soldering, it's going to be a whole new challenge I think :)

agent_44
04-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Shiny new copper looks lovely :), I like your design!

kymbi
05-09-2009, 01:39 AM
I love the colour of copper and like your use of reclaimed pipe ~ I like to play with mixed metals and my current fav is copper with fine silver.....one goes dark as it oxidises and the other stays nice and bright.

The Dragon
05-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Silly question I know ... but is there anyway of slowing down the oxidising process for copper? What sort of effect would it have on skin etc? I love the look of it, just a little concerned about using it in jewellery.

Now I've seen your beautiful piece I want to have a go.

:~:

Di Sandland
05-09-2009, 08:29 AM
George and I had a short discussion about this and decided there might be some mileage in an application of microcrystalline wax (Renaissance). It would effectively keep the air out, which is what causes the oxidisation. It also gives a beautiful finish and a very little goes a very long way.

MuranoSilver
05-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Silly question I know ... but is there anyway of slowing down the oxidising process for copper? What sort of effect would it have on skin etc? I love the look of it, just a little concerned about using it in jewellery.

I have acidic skin so copper greens on me really quickly...but I do love mixed metals...I'm planning some silver backed pieces with bronze on the top so the silver keeps the bronze away from the skin.
The wax that George and Di have mentioned defiantely works :D

Ominicci
05-09-2009, 11:09 AM

Don't forget copper is supposed to be good for preventing arthritis (or is it rheumatism?) and many people wear copper bangles for that.

Paula
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Thats fab! I love the fact that you have used old copper piping and made it into something so gorge!

The Dragon
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Sounds good to me, do Cooksons do renaissance wax?. I assume it will work for items made from cooper art clay as well?

Oh dear looks like I'm going to have to speed up the saving for a kiln, too many things I want to try out need one. lol :Y:

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Yes you can get wax and also spray lacquers to prevent the metal oxidizing too fast but most people don't generally bother as copper is good for arthritis and joint care etc :)

I will however be treating this as being a pendant I don't want the oxidization to rub off onto a white blouse lets say!

Anyway, here is the piece so far, including what one of the leaves started out as:

How it all started out:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/th_S5007186.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/?action=view&current=S5007186.jpg)

After much processing:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/th_3886747829_735743825c_o.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/?action=view&current=3886747829_735743825c_o.jpg)

After Oxidizing and making a second pendant:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/th_S5007254.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/?action=view&current=S5007254.jpg)

As I say, this is a learning curve for me as I wasn't born with jewellery making equipment in my hand and we all have to start somewhere.

After some spiteful comments recently I was about to give up altogether but decided to ignore said remarks and carry on as I never said I was a master jeweller, I'm a chef and Civil Engineer by trade!

Anyway, when the Royal Mail finally decide that they want to actually do some work the bits to complete this item may actually arrive at some point so I can finish this piece.

It is quite a gulf away from my 'normal' jewellery and will look rather different but I'm actually enjoying working with the copper and learning how metal works properly before moving onto good Sterling Silver because I'd rather throw away a piece of reclaimed copper than a piece of Fine Silver!!!

The three leaf pendant is only temporarily held together with the plated silver wire, don't worry that's not a design feature, it was just to get it off of my desk where it was getting lost under the chaos

Edit - I should say the oxidized leaf is actually a rather nice peacock blue but the bad light in the living room didn't help with that look lol

MuranoSilver
13-09-2009, 01:43 PM
That pendant is turning out really well, the contrast between the three layers is very effective. The heart is neat too, are you going to make that a double layer pendant too?
nic x

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Not sure yet about the heart as it's actually really deeply dished but it does need... something else!

I did think about drilling a hole in the other side of the top bit then some holes around the bottom to hang Swarovskis from but it's all up in the air at the moment waiting for inspiration to strike lol

kymbi
13-09-2009, 02:09 PM
The pendant is looking good - I love the look of the layers with some of them being oxidised. I like the shape of the bail as well, albeit a temporary one.

I'm glad you are pleased with the outcome and hope it's given you the inspiration to do more with the copper piping :Y:

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I oxidized the second leaf because it gave the piece some depth, three pieces of the same colour just disappeared so I needed to do something :)

When all this moving business is over I will do more but at the moment I'm doing it all between packing and trying to get all the junk on e-bay lol

Funnily enough there's two places down where we're moving to reknowned for their copper work, Newlyn and Hayle so I'm quite looking forward to that as I've seen some of the Newlyn Copper trays that my Dad had... beautiful, beautiful stuff!

Petal
13-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Absolutely lovely designs and textures Bijou, thanks so much for sharing them with us.

I must admit, they're doing building works next door to us, must go and have a scout around for some spare copper piping! BTW, what cutters do you use to cut copper with?

lotsaluv
Jules x

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Absolutely lovely designs and textures Bijou, thanks so much for sharing them with us.

I must admit, they're doing building works next door to us, must go and have a scout around for some spare copper piping! BTW, what cutters do you use to cut copper with?

lotsaluv
Jules x

I use my OH's plumbing pipe cutter (From B&Q) and then my jewellers saw to cut it open and my Moms old pliers (she had them when she was 18 and use to make circuit boards) to pull it apart enough for me to grab Pats ruddy great hammer and belt it flat lol

Nothing special at all... then it's all down to processing with saws and files etc :)

Petal
13-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I've got some !! Plus, there's another piece about 5ft long, attached to a motor of some sort..... I'll have to have a word with the owner to see if he needs it and then I'll whip that too! ummm things for free and reusing are always fun, arn't they!

Jules x

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I wasn't going to get into the re-using thing but OH left some offcuts on my desk when he was making a filter for his brewing bucket and my curiosity took over!

Although, I did ask for copper pipe on Freecycle and got some surly lord-knows-who sent me a rather stark, rude e-mail simply stating that "Copper is £1000 a ton you know!" with absolutely no other help whatsoever... like I was asking for a ton of it :N:

Then he asked what I wanted it for then demanded photos of my jewellery... I sent him some and haven't heard anything since... yeah... nice, polite Freecycler right there!

Probably some scrap dealer making sure I wasn't encroaching on his 'turf'. But it takes all kinds of idiots I suppose and rudeness seems to be growing on trees at the moment! #-o

I can't wait to get to Cornwall to start looking for Beach Glass, one of the nearby beaches is one of the best in the country for finding it apparently. Will go nicely with my re-claimed copper work!

caroleallen
13-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I think the Newlyn Copper Works has been revived but the Hayle one isn't still going. Where have you decided to move to in the end?

The Bijou Dragon
13-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, there's actually a few places but we definitely want the place we've seen in Carnyorth, we've just got to view it and such but there's also a place in Relubbus we've seen also so we're just waiting to see which one we prefer :D

caroleallen
14-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Both those places are lovely. Very rural.

Boo
14-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Really nice pieces. I wouldn't be in a rush to do too much more to the heart unless you have a really fab idea, it looks pretty good just as it is. Simple, done well, is often harder to do well than something more complex - your workmanship has nowhere to hide.

I love working in copper myself. Many of my pieces are made from some very old copper wire that my father found in a box of my grandfather's tools. It's wound several times in layers of cotton threads and on a big wooden bobbin, which I've used as a prop in some of my photos. I think my grandfather - a passionate maker of things himself - would get a real smile out of me using some of his old junk in this way.

caroleallen
14-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Had a look at your website Boo. Really nice and some lovely pieces too.

Boo
14-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Thank you kindly. It took a very long time, soul searching, research and a steep learning curve to get my site up and running how I wanted. Us independent jewellery sellers have to master a lot of skills to survive and I know that I've only just scratched the surface yet - still a great deal to learn.

The Bijou Dragon
14-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks Boo :)

Yeah it's always harder to leave well alone rather than keep tweaking! I have a little idea, not much and it also will be keeping it simple!

Your Grandfather would definitely be smiling knowing you were using his stuff. How wonderful to get to work with something like that... I wish I'd have picked up all my Granddads stuff now!!

Petal
15-09-2009, 08:10 AM
What is it they say, less is more and I think the design is elegant and simple :Y:

Jules

Solunar Silver Studio
15-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I wasn't going to get into the re-using thing but OH left some offcuts on my desk when he was making a filter for his brewing bucket and my curiosity took over!

Although, I did ask for copper pipe on Freecycle and got some surly lord-knows-who sent me a rather stark, rude e-mail simply stating that "Copper is £1000 a ton you know!" with absolutely no other help whatsoever... like I was asking for a ton of it :N:

Sounds familiar...we had our central heating redone...all the plastic small bore pipes replaced with copper to try to get the darn thing to actually work! I was at college then and asked them really nicely...with tea and biccies...if I could have any off cuts to use for my 'Light Metals' unit. After working for 3 days - using miles of copper pipe...they left me with five lengths...ranging from about 2 inches to about 9...covered in solder and full of crud!! Obviously out of some dark recesses of their van!!... Not quite the lovely shiny lengths I coveted!!:-D ...but recieved with a rather tight smile of gratitude none the less!!:'(

ps_bond
15-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I use my OH's plumbing pipe cutter (From B&Q) and then my jewellers saw to cut it open and my Moms old pliers (she had them when she was 18 and use to make circuit boards) to pull it apart enough for me to grab Pats ruddy great hammer and belt it flat lol

For 6" lengths and less of 22mm, I can pull the stuff open by hand once it is annealed. For the 15mm stuff I usually put in a wedge to open it out enough to grab it, then carry on. Makes less of a mess of the edges than pliers tend to.