PDA

View Full Version : anybody help out a newbie with a one off job?

desperate Dan
06-07-2015, 07:00 AM
Hello everybody!
I know it's a bit cheeky but I want to make two identical gold castings. I can't afford to buy all the equipment for a one off use. Go to a jeweller yes I know but I want make this myself.

So my question is : Is there anybody out there who already owns the vacuum machine and kiln (near-ish to surrey) who would let me carve the wax, make the mould and cast the gold with a little guidance. I would of course pay for the wax, investment and of course gold plus any other expenses including a suitable fee.

I wait with baited breath!

Desperate Dan.....

caroleallen
06-07-2015, 09:28 PM
I don't think any of us do our own castings Dan. Maybe you could look into using Delft clay. There are numerous threads about it on this site.

desperate Dan
08-07-2015, 05:03 AM
Caroleallen Ah..... so I'm not the only one to not have a kiln.
Thanks for the reply.

desperate Dan
08-07-2015, 05:08 AM
Killers....
Interesting but where are you based?

Also I have a question is there any problems melting/pouring gold from a kiln that has been used or is simultaneously melting silver?

Thanks.

ps_bond
08-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Interesting. That's not where you're posting from though, is it?

desperate Dan
08-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Interesting. That's not where you're posting from though, is it?

Which you??????

desperate Dan
08-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Killers; I do get about but you're right Aberdeen is a little too far! After all it's north of Watford!

CJ57
08-07-2015, 10:50 AM
I do my own castings! Have done for 32 years, and aint be a day passed that ive regretted it!

It would be good to hear more about you and your work Killers with all your depth of expertise.

desperate Dan
09-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Killers....
Interesting but where are you based?

Also I have a question is there any problems melting/pouring gold from a kiln that has been used or is simultaneously melting silver?

Thanks.

Bump! Bump!

ps_bond
09-07-2015, 07:22 PM
No, there should be no issues with using the same kiln for gold or silver. MP differs for the two though - about 100C higher for gold.

Tabby66
09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Hey Dan, unfortunitly I'm a little out of the way for you...Aberdeen in Scotland. If you come up, you can visit the home of Desperate Dan on the way though ;) I understand your desire to do it yourself, but unless you know a Jeweller, it may be difficult.

Wow Killers, you are a very informative person, such a breadth of experience and font of much knowledge. Your workshop sounds so well equipped, I am envious!
It would be great to see some of your work.

desperate Dan
10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
No, there should be no issues with using the same kiln for gold or silver. MP differs for the two though - about 100C higher for gold.

Thank you !
Being a novice i misunderstood what somebody else mentioned. I presume like silver i still have to 'pickle' the resulting cast gold - yes?

I've found a place in the city that rents workbenchs by the day and has a kiln I can use as well so hopefully I've found what I'm looking for!

desperate Dan
25-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys, it seems I was misled and I haven't found a place with both rentable desks and kiln! Who'd have thought the London School of Jewellery doesn't after all have a kiln that can cast gold!

Also there appears to be a total absence of second hand market for kilns and vacuum equipment so that route is no good. What I have discovered is there are such things as casting houses who can do all the difficult stuff for me.

So fingers crossed I'm going to get my two items made via that route. Hopefully on budget and on time as well.

Perhaps if anybody is interested I'll put up some pics when it's done.
Thanks though for your input, it's been a steep learning curve and while I would have liked to do the whole thing myself that's not possible. You have helped me get to the right place to achieve this project/goal.

CJ57
25-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Not sure why no one mentioned that most send their work away to be cast, maybe they thought you'd given up on the project. Good that you're going to get it done though, I'm sure people will be interested to see the end result

Tabby66
25-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Very interested to see the end result and how you have got there.

Probably after the event now (sorry, I think I got distracted by Killers apparent expertise in all things), but for items that I have cast (by a professional casters), I make the model in silver, allowing for shrinkage/ clean-up and have them cast in the desired metal.

desperate Dan
07-09-2015, 01:47 PM
Ok job very nearly done, just one job left.......
First wax carving.

And the result raw casting

This was then sent to the polisher.... but a few air bubbles were found....

desperate Dan
08-09-2015, 05:49 AM
Sorry, the real world intervened...

However dissapointing I had to decide whether to send it back to recast or just go with it. The main decider was time I only had two weeks left before they had to be finished.
So when I actually got to see them the pits were very small and one was much better than the other. So I decided that I could complete the better of the two, have it engraved and apply the badge. If necessary I could send it off after the presentation to fix the small pits and re-engrave if necessary. So this is what it looks like before engraving.

There is a grove along the top of the shield which is painted black. To add a little character to the piece.

Let me know what you think.

ps_bond
08-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Bubbles in castings are a pest, but they happen. 2 ways to sort them - a) use solder as filler or b) get them welded (laser or PUK). I'm not a fan of the first one. Minor porosity can be fixed by dialling in the right settings and just melting the surface - don't know if the PUK can do that, but the laser does it well. Larger holes need filler wire too. Happy to help if you want.

desperate Dan
09-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the offer. I don know if you can see from my pics, but they are very small. I'll have to see what the recipient says. He may even say not to worry! I'll let you know on Monday.

desperate Dan
27-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Sorry guys - I thought I had posted another response last week which now seems to be absent!

Anyway the main recipient was at first dumbfounded and then very pleased with his gift. So the surprise element was 100%
Afterwards I did have a quiet word about the minor flaws and the while I didn't have time before to fix them I could if he wanted do it now. His response was "what flaws and no I'm not letting this out of my hands it's brilliant just the way it's is"

So guys thanks for all your help in making this object. I think it's fair to say the project was successful.

Dennis
27-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Yes, but it is our self criticism that drives us forward.
Thank you for your feedback and do keep posting, Dennis.

metalsmith
27-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Good result DesperateDan - thanks for sharing the results

desperate Dan
29-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys...... now what to do next!