PDA

View Full Version : Shield Pendant

Bigwol
04-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Work in progress

These are the parts I have made so far,

The outer and inner discs are made from reticulated sterling silver.
(overheated to nearly melting point several times and then pickled)

The stone is a 4mm mirror backed Topaz cab, which will be set in the centre tube -
which is a short section of cookson's RSA 047 sterling silver tube

The next processes are as follows - chemically darken the reticulated silver disks with liver of sulfur - (hoping for a blue/green finish), set the Topaz cab, and then rivet the outer and inner sections together with 1mm sterling silver wire with the ends melted into 'blobs' on one end. - polish the edges, the back and the centre setting so they stand out, and finally give the rivets a high polish to contrast with the discs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/Bench/ShieldPendant.jpg

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Ooh, I'm all agog now - sounds good.

bustagasket
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
wow cant wait to see how this turns out!

EmmaRose
04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
me too. I love reticulated silver. Very neat construction there so far am very impressed :) :Y:
Em

MuranoSilver
04-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Can't wait to see it all finished :)

CyberPaddy66
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out, never been that sure about reticulated stuff but then again I've not seen much anyway.

AlexandraBuckle
04-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Ooh, I love seeing work in progress :)

AlexandraBuckle
04-09-2009, 09:26 PM
...just noticed the bail in the pic...looks like a bought in one...

I definately think you should make your own. Looks much better on a piece made from scratch.

But then thats just my opinion - feel free to do whatever :)

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 10:23 PM
I think it looks like a very interesting design - I look forward to seeing the finished article!

Have you thought about how to deal with getting rid of the extra solder on the reticulated surface without losing the texture?

Bigwol
04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
I think it looks like a very interesting design - I look forward to seeing the finished article!

Have you thought about how to deal with getting rid of the extra solder on the reticulated surface without losing the texture?
Was considering re-reticulating it!

Possibly with correction fluid on the soldered jump ring and joint.

Bigwol
04-09-2009, 11:49 PM
...just noticed the bail in the pic...looks like a bought in one...

I definately think you should make your own. Looks much better on a piece made from scratch.

But then thats just my opinion - feel free to do whatever :)
Might make one, but the bought in ones are really tidy, secure and cheaper than I could make one for - I am all for handcrafted work, but if there is an item which is better in terms of security and functionality available as a mass produced item, I will generally buy it in rather than supply a unique but inferior item - I do the same with earrings, the traditional Ball and Spring design is terrific and sold to me at a price I could not possibly match - the time taken to make one would cost more than the bought in one, and not look as good.

I'm open to being convinced on this one, send evidence!!!

Dave

What sort of handmade bail do you reckon would complement the design?

AlexandraBuckle
05-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Hahaha, now you are asking!

I'll be honest, I use bought in ones too for the same reasons you stated, but my work is much simpler and I try to sell it as reasonably priced as poss...

I imagined that your piece would be a one off... I don't make many one offs, but if I did I would design the bail too.

Your technical skills far outweigh mine and I'm sure you could design and make a lovely bail to compliment it. From what you have done so far, you clearly have the ability to do it. And I personally feel that the design would benefit from a handmade bail. You have put a lot of consideration into the rest of the piece and I think the bought in bail will stand out a mile, which would be a shame.

It has taken me all day so far to write this as i keep getting interrupted!
So will post what I've written so far and try and find you a few examples later to show.

EmmaRose
05-09-2009, 03:35 PM
And remember a handmade matching bail should factor in the price, you can ask alot more for a piece like that, it screams uniqueness/ artisan.
Em

mizgeorge
05-09-2009, 04:25 PM
I'd go with the matching bail thing! Just cut a small piece of sheet silver (I tend to go for a sort of triangle with the end chopped off and reticulate it to match. Form a piece of wire into an S with one large and one small end and solder it to the back so the larger bit forms the loop for the chain to thread through. Instant bail! Like this (apologies for the dreadful setting, they were very early efforts!)

Dano
05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
ooh that is really nice, op! i'm a sucker for handmade things that look a bit machiney

definitely go with a handmade bail if you can, for something that nice using an off-the-peg finding would be spoilin' the ship for a ha'porth of tar, as me granddad used to say.

amazingbabe
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
oh can't wait to see it, love the way you show us all the bits first, makes it so much more interesting xx

AlexandraBuckle
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Glad to see some more replies as I was too busy yesterday to finish mine...
And thanks for the examples MzG.

I was thinking about your design as I was going to bed... (I know sad eh? Ha ha, my brain can't resist thinking through these things)

It would look really nice if you made a slightly larger matching bail and set another smaller stone in it. Does kinda double your workload though i guess :)