PDA

View Full Version : copper clay problems!

gingercandyflossgirl
24-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi, I have been making jewellery for quite a few years, and work with pmc a lot. A couple of years ago i was asked by a friend to make awards for a charity she set up in memory of her son. They are copper clay leaves that i make in moulds taken from the copper birch tree he used to climb in their garden. I only work with copper clay to make these leaves each year, and i don't know if i have forgotten something important, and am doing it wrong or what, but when i fired the leaves this week they didn't work. i had made them in the moulds and dried them completely; at this point they looked fine, then i fired them in my kiln. They came out looking fine, and i droped them into a hot quench to blast off the black scale. When i took them out, under the skale they were completely honeycombed. Out of the 5 leaves (each one was 10gm) only one was any good, and that one was perfect. The others look like lace! What am i doing wrong? why is this happening? I would really apriciate any help please! thanks