PDA

View Full Version : Hand engraving clamps , vices , blocks or any related wanted please :)

Leo
21-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm looking for an engraving block - the ball shaped vices you get, or any types if clamps :)

ps_bond
22-06-2015, 06:12 AM
It's fairly rare to see them come up for sale in the UK s/h; you'll see more in the US (although shipping will be fun). Rare is not never, however; my largest block I managed to buy from a UK seller on EBay.

There are alternatives - a traditional method is to engrave with the object on a sandbag; flat items can be taped to a piece of wood. If you're lucky, Jim will post a picture of the wooden clamp he made - again, that usually sits on a sandbag and can be turned easily for cuts.

Goldsmith
22-06-2015, 07:19 AM
Hi leo, this is one of my home made wooden engraving clamps that Peter mentioned. My grandfather was a hand engraver way back before any ready made engraving vices were available and he used these types of clamps to hold pieces he engraved. Back in those days he used to buy wooden toy building blocks from Hamleys to make his various shaped clamps.
This is the one that I made when I was an apprentice. It's made of hardwood with strips of leather lining the claps and the screws are Sash window bolts.

7827 782878297830

James

ajda
22-06-2015, 07:31 AM
There's a thing of beauty - thanks for posting!

Leo
22-06-2015, 07:34 AM
It's fairly rare to see them come up for sale in the UK s/h; you'll see more in the US (although shipping will be fun). Rare is not never, however; my largest block I managed to buy from a UK seller on EBay.

There are alternatives - a traditional method is to engrave with the object on a sandbag; flat items can be taped to a piece of wood. If you're lucky, Jim will post a picture of the wooden clamp he made - again, that usually sits on a sandbag and can be turned easily for cuts.

Hi, thanks, yeah I've discovered that too, just hoping someone in uk has an old one wants to sell,
I've made some useful clamps but see so many images of the blocks, I feel I should get one.
I heard pepe blocks are a good quality cheaper alternative to grs.
Might end up buying cheap from china,
If threads unsuccessful .
Someone must have one they don't want ;)

ps_bond
22-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Someone must have one they don't want ;)

Cold, dead hands I'm afraid :)

Dennis
22-06-2015, 08:31 AM
If you are not successful, you could also hold your work down on a square of MDF using Coolmorph. Not traditional, but saves £££. Dennis.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=coolmorph&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fcaHVZ33FcPe7Ab5maLYCg

Leo
24-06-2015, 07:11 AM
That fills me with gladness that you don't have to spend big on tools though the companies want you too, sash window bolts-great tip, I searched b&q for similar but no joy I didn't know what to call them(butterfly nuts).. Will look for some I think, love the authentic look of those vices, bet they work really well too,
Thanks for images !:)

Patstone
24-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Hi Leo, I have one that I made similar to Goldsmiths but its not very big. I made it to hold rings but then I got a GRS system which has a ring vice. If you pay the postage you are welcome to it. I have taken a few photo's, if they will download to the computer. Sorry for some reason they wont download but the gap in the middle is about a cm. I will see if hubby can download them for me.

ps_bond
24-06-2015, 07:40 AM
That fills me with gladness that you don't have to spend big on tools though the companies want you too, sash window bolts-great tip, I searched b&q for similar but no joy I didn't know what to call them(butterfly nuts).. Will look for some I think, love the authentic look of those vices, bet they work really well too,
Thanks for images !:)

The company Jim listed in the images seems to have the best price - https://www.reddiseals.com/product/original-sash-screw/

Leo
26-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Ah getting a bit more confident now, everyone has some great advice, thanks all. Have been looking on youtube- a few inventions made from household pans etc.. A good solid wooden clamp seems to be a great start point and from what I can find in books, like everyone's been saying- seems to be The traditional way that works

Leo
26-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks peter, will have a look at those, getting closer :)

josef1
26-06-2015, 09:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9R8gLom6Mw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9R8gLom6Mw

this is a cool video

Leo
26-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Is isn't it;) have that grs.. Looks like it works too probably for the maker.