PDA

View Full Version : So I finally took the plunge!

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 10:22 AM
I've added a shop to my website, it only has a few items listed at the moment but I would love to know what you think.

http://madebyryn.com/shop/

Dennis
16-06-2015, 10:50 AM
Congratulation Katherine, for making a good start. My only comment is that to look desirable I find them too Dark. I have taken the liberty of tinkering with one of them to illustrate this. Some of the others did not have enough light and would have to be re-taken (? in natural light on a on a windowsill).

Kind regards, Dennis.

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Thanks I'm still figuring out photos with some way to go!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

caroleallen
16-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Looking good so far Kathryn. I agree with Dennis about lightening the images. Photographing jewellery is in my option, one of the hardest things to do.

ShinyLauren
16-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Yay, well done! Photography is an absolute bugger to do isn't it?

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 02:52 PM
It is getting things bright without over exposure or shiny glare or weird reflections and so many other things!

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 03:54 PM
It probably isn't enough but I played with the brightness some over lunch so they aren't quite as dark but I'll probably schedule another photography session soon with all this summer sun.

Sammyjean
16-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Hi Kathryn!
Well done for taking the plunge! I think your site looks smart and confident.. I didn't see it before you brightened up the images, they don't look half bad now.

caroleallen
16-06-2015, 07:12 PM
I now do the unthinkable to my images - slightly over-expose them! It seems that people like to see product shots looking really bright. Who knew?

Dennis
16-06-2015, 07:39 PM
I'll probably schedule another photography session soon with all this summer sun.

Not direct sunlight, but a light overcast sky. Just like a light tent, really, but free. Dennis

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 08:34 PM
I now do the unthinkable to my images - slightly over-expose them! It seems that people like to see product shots looking really bright. Who knew?
Wow who knew indeed!

Not direct sunlight, but a light overcast sky. Just like a light tent, really, but free. Dennis
overcast winter is when did a fair few of those >.< I refuse to wish for overcast weekends even if it will help my photography. But I'll watch out for one :)

Kathryn Harrison
16-06-2015, 08:35 PM
Hi Kathryn!
Well done for taking the plunge! I think your site looks smart and confident.. I didn't see it before you brightened up the images, they don't look half bad now.
Thanks!

Tabby66
17-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Hi Kathryn,
Just had a look at you shop. Lovely set-up.
I find successful photography is a nightmare......What I want to do is make (and sell) jewellery,......selling seems to mean I have to be the master of so many things I hadn't anticipated and know so little about!! Lol!!

I had a play around and my only (possibly) useful suggestion is that once I've added an item to the basket, there is a 'continue shopping' button,....so if I have purchased a pendant, you can easily continue shopping and add the matching earrings!!

Great work....must get around to sorting mine, I have had it in private mode for a while!!

Jill xx

Kathryn Harrison
18-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Ooo thanks I'll see if I can add a continue shopping button.
I hope to see yours up and running soon too.
I'm now panicking about expenses for a self assessment >.<

medusa
25-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Nicely done! It's so hard getting it right!

I usually use the correct exposure according to the light meter, but then increase exposure in post production. I also sometimes cool down the colour tone if I'm photographing silver only items. It really depends on the background.

ps_bond
25-06-2015, 06:45 PM
In-camera or separate meter?

medusa
25-06-2015, 06:51 PM
separate. There is one in camera as well, but the other half would chide me if I didn't use the proper one.

ps_bond
25-06-2015, 07:06 PM
I thought that might be the case!

Eric LeClair
09-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Looks great Kathryn. My only suggestion would be to use a white background. It just makes the jewelry come alive. i think almost all sites that sell jewelry use a white background. Other than that, you are way ahead of me sister ;)

Kathryn Harrison
11-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Thanks Eric, although I only seem to get things done in fits and spurts what with the full time job and political activism and small amounts of social life I squeeze around those so I've not added anything for ages. I have a pile I'm building for hallmarking and then photos so who knows maybe I'll move to the next step this year and actually promote it >.<

diamondfoster
15-08-2016, 01:56 PM
I think you're jewellery looks very nice!