PDA

View Full Version : white gold bezels/ stone setting earrings.

enigma
10-06-2015, 09:36 PM
So I just made a pair of 9ct red gold and sapphire earrings, Im not happy with them , as you can see the bezels aren't perfect so Im going to redo them and hope I can get them better next time.
The customer says she's happy with them from the photo but I don't think they are good enough?
I really seem to struggle with bezels in red gold :/

Anyway the customer also wants some in white gold now :'(
I have found it difficult to solder white gold so already dreading that but have never made a bezel from it and wondering how it compares to red or yellow?
I find the red difficult because it has too much spring, is white the same? worse?

Thanks in advance

enigma
12-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Nobody? :(

ps_bond
12-06-2015, 01:53 PM
9kW is 'orrible. 9k anything is pretty 'orrible, but 9kW is a pig to set.

enigma
12-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Thank you Peter!
I was afraid that may be the case, going to see if I can persuade her into having silver I think!

Dennis
12-06-2015, 06:11 PM
9ct white is pretty Sarah, but you can have trouble with it collapsing, if accidentally overheated.

As far as gold bezels are concerned, you do have the option of keeping them quite thin, say 0.3mm.

If they defy setting, they will close using well polished round pliers, very delicately and bit by bit around the edges.

I keep one pair of pliers specially for this as it causes less pressure on a delicate piece. To steady them more, I have slightly flattened one beak, but this is not essential. Dennis

enigma
12-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Thanks Dennis :)
Thats the problem Ive had with soldering 9ct white, damn stuff suddenly collapsed on me!
Ive persuaded her to have the next ones in silver! phew!
Still have these to redo so will try your pliers tip thank you!