PDA

View Full Version : Laser machine

becks3636
05-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Hello - Has anyone got any experience of buying a laser cutting machine or advice on where to get a good one?

ps_bond
05-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Erm... There's quite a jump in both cost and tech from a jump ringer to a cutter.
First question would be what are you intending to cut?

becks3636
05-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Hi Peter. I'm basically trying to cut a range of wire shapes - which is why I initially was thinking of a jump ring maker. I basically make filigree work but need to speed up the forming of the wires to make it financially viable. I've just received a windfall so I can push to a laser cutter which I think might be more useful to me. Have you got experience of buying one?

ps_bond
05-06-2015, 06:53 PM
So it's metal cutting capability you need? I'd ask Alan (Geti) on that one. They are not cheap; depends on the order of magnitude of your windfall.
The ones you see on EBay and the likes are of little more use than craft level; I know someone who runs a more capable one, but even at the £10k mark it's still only going to do organic materials.

CJ57
05-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Like Peter we know someone with a laser cutting machine but it does't do metal. I'm pretty sure as Peter said it was 10k worth just for that