PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a Torch!

Mark Goodwin
30-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

I have just bought the Sievert Torch, it arrived today. I have connected it to a small Propane bottle, followed all the instructions and all worked well. However, it appears that no matter which way I turn the Regulator knob, up or down, it doesn't appear to have any effect on the flame. I am using the smallest flame attachment. Can anyone who uses the Sievert please advise me on where I should ideally set the regulator?

Many thanks in advance

Mark

trialuser
30-05-2015, 06:52 PM
You may have an extra low pressure regulator on the cylinder(37mb if I remember
May not be enough oomph

Mark Goodwin
30-05-2015, 09:13 PM
You may have an extra low pressure regulator on the cylinder(37mb if I remember
May not be enough oomph

Thanks for the response it is most appreciated.

As far as power coming out of the bottle is concerned, it is fine. There is a nice hot blue flame however, I need to know where the regulator should be set for safety sake. On the top of the regulator is the following info:

Po: 0-4 bar
Pi max : 16 bar
Q : 8 kg/hr
Model : 460

But at the moment with this tip on, turning the knob either way has no effect. Maybe it is for when I am using a much larger tip, say for melting?

Thanks
Mark

CJ57
30-05-2015, 11:21 PM
I've had my sievert for nearly 40 years and have never used the small burner for anything it's still in the box. I use a medium burner for all jobs. It probably doesn't answer the question about the regulator though!

mizgeorge
31-05-2015, 12:35 AM
If it helps, for a single torch, I usually set my regulator at around 1 bar.

I'm sure it's teaching granny, but there will always be someone out there that might read this and learn - always remember to turn the gas on fully at the bottom, so that if you need to turn it off in a hurry, there can be no doubt about which way you're turning the knob.

Aurarius
31-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Remembering which way the gas knob turns off is easy if you think of it as a tap. Few of us would try turning the bath tap anticlockwise to turn it off.

Didi
31-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Ah Aurarius! If only remembering which way to turn a tap was that easy. For years I have been heard to mutter "Righty - tighty, lefty - loosey, now, which one is left?
Didi

mizgeorge
31-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Not all taps are created equal... Our taps in the Caribbean turn the 'wrong' way.

(and I have no idea where the 'at the bottom' in my post above came from, but I'm no longer able to edit it.)

vsilvered
31-05-2015, 12:56 PM
Having struggled with two Sievert torches at home (one I’ve already sold and the other I’m about to sell), I recently took purchase of an Orca torch and tried it out for the first time yesterday. What a difference!

It’s lighter weight, shorter hose with quicker ignition, together with the ability to alter the amount of air in the gas mix makes soldering a dream. :)

Dennis
31-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Well jewellers are painfully traditional and simply won't countenance anything new. For 'new' read only thirty years old. I also have a bee in my bonnet about flexshafts v. micromotors.

What is worse, newbies insist on taking up the antiquated ways, for fear of not doing it the real way. Rant over. Dennis.

Mark Goodwin
31-05-2015, 03:24 PM
NOW you tell me!….:'(

Mark Goodwin
31-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Just had a quick look at your Facebook page Caroline…. Stunning! Some wonderful pieces of work.
Does your Sievert Torch have a regulator where it connects to the gas bottle? And if so any suggestions as to how it is set.
Regards
Mark

Aurarius
31-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Not all taps are created equal... Our taps in the Caribbean turn the 'wrong' way.

Yes, my "few of us" was meant to accommodate the rare exceptions.

CJ57
31-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Just had a quick look at your Facebook page Caroline…. Stunning! Some wonderful pieces of work.
Does your Sievert Torch have a regulator where it connects to the gas bottle? And if so any suggestions as to how it is set.
Regards
Mark

Thank you Mark nice of you to say:) I thought I should look after saying that and I'm afraid all I do is turn the gas on, there is a regulator which is also quite old but not as old as the torch. I will have a closer inspection tomorrow! It doesn't look like yours and mine is still a blue bottle which does me fine as you can see
In my defence I believe that because my torch is ancient like moi that the handle isn't as heavy as those available now and why change something that works for you.
I'll get back to Dennis re pendants and micro motors as I'm still undecided about whether I need one but very tempted. I would like to get better at setting stones so that would be my main reason so maybe a waste of money?

Maria
01-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Hi Mark I have had my Sievert torch for around 10 years , I recently noticed it was not working as well as it should , I spoke to Hamiltons who told me the regulator may have gone as a part inside can perish. I never really turned the flame up and down just off and on . I got a new regulator and the torch is back to its usual self . On seeing your post I turned the regulator up and down ( I normally have mine on 4) there's not much of a difference in the flame until it's nearly off and then the flame obviously reduces. I'm no expert but if it does the job and everything turns off ok when you finish it should be ok. I use a small hand torch when I don't need as much heat.

Toadiebob
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
I've recently bought a Sievert torch and it's nothing but trouble. I've been on the phone to the supplier, calor and Sievert and they all say it's not their problem! I learned the basics on a Sievert so thought it best to stick with what I know for the time being but I won't be doing that again as it is likely that my recent purchase will be growing wings to fly to the bottom of the garden before long!

Tabby66
06-06-2015, 08:18 PM
What trouble have you been having Rae?? I love my sievert!!

CJ57
06-06-2015, 09:41 PM
What trouble have you been having Rae?? I love my sievert!!

Me too Jill. Although I did mention a few months ago that it was occasionally flaring but after all these years that's the first of any problems

Toadiebob
06-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Sometimes it won't light despite the gas being on properly but the main problem being that it keeps going out and the flame splutters for want of a better word! I have tried everything I can think of including keeping everything at a constant temperature, dismantling everything when not in use and regular cleaning. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis
06-06-2015, 11:03 PM
Sieverts are so simply made, that provided they are clean and the junctions are done up tightly, the problem is more likely to be with the gas pressure. In this case it might be too high. Dennis.

Mark Goodwin
07-06-2015, 01:38 AM
Sievert torch update.
Firstly vis a vis the regulator. I spoke to the chap at Sievert's and e told me that as I was using the smallest tip I probably wouldn't notice any difference when altering the regulator. However, as the appeared to be getting smaller I guessed something was wrong (no kidding Sherlock)! I reckoned tha I was running out of gas, so went and changed the bottle and now ut appears to be working fine. I can even see a difference when I adjust the regulator. However, think I may have the wrong tip, as Caroline said previously she has never used the smallest one, and I can see why. My next plan is to buy a medium or at least the next size tip up from the smallest and see where go from there..
Thank you everyone for your input it has all really helped.

CJ57
07-06-2015, 10:16 AM
I would give you the serial number Mark but it's so old it doesn't seem to match up to numbers that have come up in previous posts. If you do a search on here there was once another post about sievert burners

Mark Goodwin
07-06-2015, 02:48 PM
I would give you the serial number Mark but it's so old it doesn't seem to match up to numbers that have come up in previous posts. If you do a search on here there was once another post about sievert burners
Many thanks Caroline I will do.
Apologies to all, for unforgivable typos in my previous post. (It's an age thing!) :-(
Regards
Mark

CJ57
07-06-2015, 03:11 PM
I blame it on the predictive text on my iPad , I seem to write in a whole new language I didn't know I knew, it s very challenging !

Toadiebob
07-06-2015, 07:05 PM
I've tried the torch at what I assume to be all pressures. I have nothing that tells me, just a valve at the top of the tank with open and close. So I've opened it a little to try and all the way to try and have the same problems no matter what! I will try the man at Sievert again I think. I am gutted, I was so excited when I ordered it and it arrived!

Tabby66
07-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Sorry Rae, are you suffering the same problems? I'm uncertain from you last post?? If it's any help, the only times I tend to have had any problems with my sievert it is with a full tank and particularly in warmer weather. Do you have a flashback arrestor fitted??

china
08-06-2015, 02:38 PM
I was a friends place last week and he uses German made lpg torch I was so impressed that I am bying one
this is the website https://www.planert-jewellery.com.au/en/jewellery-category-display/product/131-german-precision-lp-gas-torch

Toadiebob
11-06-2015, 09:40 PM
I didn't know such a thing existed! I have the basic beginners set up so nothing fancy added. It's just very temperamental. I have a new tank of propane on it so perhaps that is the problem?!

Rae

Tabby66
12-06-2015, 09:06 PM
I find that my sievert only really plays up with a full tank and more so when the ambient temperature is warm!!