PDA

View Full Version : Wire guardians/cable thimbles

Petal
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
What do you guys think of wire guardians/cable thimbles then??

I've attached the links as examples for those of you that might not have either seen or heard of them before.

http://www.beadsisters.co.uk/beads/largepics/basic%20findings/bf-gt-wgdn.jpg

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/Sterling-Silver-Cable-Thimble-.021-11378.aspx

I find, personally, that they help with the wire abrasion, but when I put them on some of my necklaces, they catch the clasp :(|

What do you guys use?

I-) off to bed........

Jules x

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh, those! Hate em and gave up ages ago!

mizgeorge
03-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I like the fact that they cover the wire, and make it look a bit more substantial at the join, but wish they weren't 'open'. I tend to resort to good old bullion/gimp instead. But then, I don't do a lot of stringing, so don't have to deal with it on a daily basis!

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I use them on heavier pieces - often items I am repairing or redoing for friends. Like George I don't like the fact that they are open.

Jules - are you using them for the bit that the clasp hooks on to? I usually put a jump ring through the guardian so that can be used as the link for the clasp. You can use a soldered jump ring and put it in the guardian loop before you put the cable through the guardian.

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I use them on heavier pieces - often items I am repairing or redoing for friends. Like George I don't like the fact that they are open.

Jules - are you using them for the bit that the clasp hooks on to? I usually put a jump ring through the guardian so that can be used as the link for the clasp. You can use a soldered jump ring and put it in the guardian loop before you put the cable through the guardian.

Ooh - I am stupid. 'nuff said.

Petal
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Yes, I use a soldered jump ring or split ring through the guardian.

jules x

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Hmmm wonder why they catch the clasp then?