PDA

View Full Version : Sterlling wire

Patstone
23-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Am I right in thinking that half hard wire reverts to being normal sterling wire if heated. Answers on a postcard please.

Dennis
23-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Am I right in thinking that half hard wire reverts to being normal sterling wire if heated. Answers on a postcard please.

The answer is yes and here is the post card.

medusa
23-05-2015, 11:31 AM
is 'normal' analogous with annealed then?

Dennis
23-05-2015, 01:01 PM
is 'normal' analogous with annealed then?

In this context I think it is, or I'll eat my hat, as somebody recently said and then did'nt. I think it was Paddy Ashdown, or I'll eat my other hat.

Patstone
24-05-2015, 05:41 AM
Sorry for not using the correct terminology, I thought jump rings would be stronger if I used half hard wire but they are quite difficult to form, so thought that if I make the bracelet first, then heat, I could go back and bend the jump rings into shape afterwards.

CJ57
24-05-2015, 11:06 AM
I buy hard wire to make jump rings so that they remain really tight, but if you are making chain maille then I've just bought the packs of ready cut rings for a one off project because there isn't the stress on the ring. It would depend what you are using them for

Patstone
24-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Chainmaille predominantly, but also for jump rings.

susieq
24-05-2015, 09:23 PM
I always buy soft, fully annealed wire. Doesn't the action of coiling the wire round the mandrel (I used a hand drill in a vice) ultimately work-harden the wire anyway. I also assumed, perhaps wrongly, that by using soft wire the coil would be tighter to the mandrel so give a truer aspect ratio for chainmaille.

Patstone
25-05-2015, 06:18 AM
I ordered it to try it out for chainmaille but I found it quite hard to make it into jumprings it didnt go tight on the coil. Its not wasted as I can use it on the earring stalks. I make my coils the same way, electric screwdriver with a knitting needle in it, then saw down through the coil. Will stick to soft in the future.

CJ57
25-05-2015, 11:02 AM
You'll be able to use it for making jumprings that you don't want to solder for catches etc too

Dennis
25-05-2015, 11:19 AM
You'll be able to use it for making jumprings that you don't want to solder for catches etc too

Or anneal it to turn it normal :~:.

Patstone
25-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Hello Dennis, what can I use to get a wobbly stone tight in the bezel. Don't want to take the stone out again as the bezel is part of the design.
I can't get a photo to load either so not sure what to do. Stone is a very deep one, wondered if that was causing the problem.

Patstone
25-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Hello Dennis, what can I use to get a wobbly stone tight in the bezel. Don't want to take the stone out again as the bezel is part of the design.
I can't get a photo to load either so not sure what to do. Stone is a very deep one, wondered if that was causing the problem.

Too late, decided to pull it apart and try again. !!!!!!!

Dennis
25-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi Pat, I presume it is a cab. If you have large enough round nosed pliers for your stone, then pinch the bezel very gently all around the edge, north south, east west, etc. until it is firm. Try not to make unwanted marks to save on cleaning up. The pliers are best smooth and polished. Regards, Dennis.

Patstone
25-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks Dennis, I tried hammering gently but it didnt make any difference so I took the bezel off and in the process of doing another on. The first one looked lovely too, no marks, but the stone rattled so it had to come out.