PDA

View Full Version : Kilns

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Okay, guys, where's the best place to get my new kiln :))):dancing::)))

I am assuming that the Paragon SC2 is the one to go for - but any and all input welcome. Its a gift from an old friend

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
pm I think sweetie

MuranoSilver
03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Yep definately suggest the SC2 :)

mizgeorge
03-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Bu&&er,
I've just sold my SC2 (which was in perfect condition). I didn't use it enough to justify having two kilns, and I dont' need to fire anything larger than my little one will manage.

It's a great workhorse kiln though. Check the glass suppliers as well as the art clay places as they often have good deals - I think Warm Glass was one of the cheapest recently.

Di Sandland
03-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh George, what timing eh? Never mind, old chap.

EmmaRose
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a little Uhlig kiln and I love it.

MuranoSilver
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a little Uhlig kiln and I love it.

Lol - I read that as Ugly kiln!
Awww (thinks I) an Ugly kiln but it doesn't matter as long as Em loves it....
Tales of Velveteen Rabbit spring to mind....

Then I realised it was Uhlig:D
I've not heard of that make tell us more *-:)

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
What do you want to do with your kiln Di?

This can have a big impact on both the type of kiln and type of door you need, and it's expensive to change after the initial purchase.

agent_44
04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I bought a Skutt Hot Start from Warm Glass recently. I wanted something that I could anneal lampwork in (not that I have been able to do any lampworking for yonks but will soon!) PMC and something that I could do glass fusing in , and the Hot start has the capacity to make a large plate, so would see me for a while with that. So far I have only managed to use it for PMC but I am really happy with it. Warm Glass are great too.

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
What do you want to do with your kiln Di?

This can have a big impact on both the type of kiln and type of door you need, and it's expensive to change after the initial purchase.

Well, it may surprise you that PMC is not high on my agenda, although of course I want to do some of that. I want to work with glass eventually and real enamels as opposed to cold resins.

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
If you want to fuse, then you want a plain door, but if you want to make beads, then you need a bead door.

I now do pretty much everything in my little beadcube, which is really designed for annealing beads, but is hot enough to do enamelling and to fire pmc, and has a tiny footprint (and a much smaller price too). British made as well, which I like a lot, and a the controller is in a separate unit, which seems to make it less vulnerable.

It's a lovely little piece of kit:

http://www.kilncare.co.uk/kilns_glass_beadannealing_beadcube.html

Kilncare a a fab company to deal with, and carry the full efco range as well.:Y::Y:

agent_44
04-09-2009, 11:23 AM
If you want to fuse, then you want a plain door, but if you want to make beads, then you need a bead door.

But if you are happy to batch anneal your beads, then a bead door is not necessary, which gives you more options if you want a multi purpose kiln.

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Absolutely right, but batch annealing only works up to a point (and was the main reason I sold my SC2, which was plain doored). Anything of any size really does need garaging, which is what made the cube such a good option. I'd consider getting another dedicated kiln for other stuff if I did a lot of it, but I seem to have enough going on at the moment! As with so many things, kilns seem to work best doing the job they're intended for.

I liked my paragon, but I absolutely LOVE little Eric the cube. He and Lucinda (my very small dual fuel torch) make such a nice couple.....

agent_44
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
You call your tourch Lucinda?!?

mizgeorge
04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
LOL @ you - yes (I don't think there's any subconscious connection!)

She's small, pink and fiery ;)

agent_44
04-09-2009, 12:14 PM
LOL @ you - yes (I don't think there's any subconscious connection!)

She's small, pink and fiery ;)

hehe, well I can only match the firey! :D

caroleallen
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I've got an SC2 with a bead door. I've never used the bead door but you never know. I'm very happy with it.

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 12:58 PM
aw, now I'm all confused! If I got the little bead cube - which is very attractive in both price and spec - I'd be buggered if I decided I wanted to do more. Or would I?

I know nuffink

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 02:23 PM
We have a glass place in Bristol and they sell the bead cube https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=617_631 (same price as in George's link - NOTE screen price doesnt include VAT) and it says in the more info that you can do fusing and PMC in it - doesn't mention enamelling though.

agent_44
04-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Ooh, I never knew that place was there!

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Ha ha just realised the 'info' on the Bristol site is the same as on the Kiln care one anyway if you click the right button #-o

Ominicci
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Agent - let me know if you ever go and I'll meet you (any excuse to go!!). It's on the right side of Bristol for you, if coming from Bath go left at the Fowlers roundabout (the one before Temple Meads) and then third left, and its about 200yards on the right.

They don't have a huge bead making selection of rods etc but I think they have only recently started stocking bead stuff. There is a good selection of slumping and fusing stuff I think tho - I go for the stained glass stuff.

agent_44
04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Sounds good, hopefully I will be investing in some glass related supplies before Christmas so I will let you know. I must have obliviously driven past that place a hundred times!

ps_bond
04-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Of course, you also have Purimachos in Bristol and Bath Potters (er, not actually in Bath these days) for access to refractory materials. Mind you, I think Bath Potters get theirs from Purimachos anyway...

(edit - perhaps not these days; just checked Purimachos' site and they've been bought up - and don't seem to carry the more interesting materials: Firebricks, ceramic blanket, ceramic board... Hmph)

MuranoSilver
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Di
For enamelling you need a front opening door so you can slide the pieces in and out (my SC2 has a viewing window which I find really useful).
The SC2 is a much larger size than most but it just fits in the smaller glass slumping moulds for plates, dishes and coaster making (available from warm glass).
I also have multiple shelves for my sc2 & have fired up to 60pieces at a time ;)
Nic x

ps_bond
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Does the SC2 have a safety interlock on the door, or do the coils stay live when the door is open?

MuranoSilver
04-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Mine stops live but they're covered as they're inside the walls

Di Sandland
04-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I have to admit I'm leaning towards the SC2 for the simple reason I don't want to get the other one and then decide I need 'bigger and better.' Mind you, its a nice problem to have ;)

Thanks so much everybody - and Bristol is a doable trip for me too, which adds another option.

agent_44
04-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Of course, you also have Purimachos in Bristol and Bath Potters (er, not actually in Bath these days) for access to refractory materials. Mind you, I think Bath Potters get theirs from Purimachos anyway...

(edit - perhaps not these days; just checked Purimachos' site and they've been bought up - and don't seem to carry the more interesting materials: Firebricks, ceramic blanket, ceramic board... Hmph)

Typical - I sit literally just half a mile from Puromachos as I write this! I actually haven't quite made it to Bath yet (my move has been delayed) and am in Bristol for a few more weeks.

Bath Potters looks interesting though - thanks!

Ominicci
05-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Bath Potters are in Radstock (where my parents live! My brother's first job was in the Westfield Trading Estate and I used to pass it every day on my way to school in the sixth form) only 8 miles out of Bath and in the Bath Postcode area.