PDA

View Full Version : Setting diamonds culet upwards & table downwards

katyakrasnova
07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Hi!

I'm new to this forum & fairly new to jewellery making. I recently learned flush setting faceted stones & it's gone rather well. However, now a commission has come through asking for a matching ring & earring set in silver with black diamonds which are set with the culet pointing outwards.
I'm happy to admit that I'm rather stuck as to how to start to tackle this. Advice & tips VERY much appreciated as would love to crack this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis
07-05-2015, 09:49 PM
There is really no difference in the method, as the shape upside down is similar, with the exception of a point (culet) instead of a table.

They can be flush set, or tube set as required, but with the culet projecting they will have to be super secure as they can be prized out in use.

If in doubt, practice with cheap CZs first and maybe copper sheet for flush. For practicing tube setting it will be more convenient to set into the end of a length of silver tube and then cut off that bit. You will not have wasted much. Dennis

Dennis
08-05-2015, 04:00 AM
Amendments, as I am past the time for editing:

Gipsy set, as they are no longer flush.

Prised not prized.

For a ring, practice gipsy setting with copper sheet or wire, but for secure setting the stones should only occupy about a third or less of the available width.

Showing that what you post can end up like your ring, full of holes.

katyakrasnova
08-05-2015, 07:26 AM
Thank you Dennis. Will take your advice & practice with copper & CZs

Gemsetterchris
08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Gipsy, gypsy, flush...call it whatever, It's all the same thing.
Wether you end up with the table of a stone flush with the metal depends on the size & cut.
What matters is your stone girdle has metal over it to hold it in, upside down or not.
Be aware that black diamonds are poor quality stones & sometimes need abit of care.