PDA

View Full Version : Inverted cone burr for cabochon setting

Claire D
05-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Yesterday I decided to teach myself how to tube set some cabochons. I find using bezel strip really fiddly on small (4mm and smaller) cabs and end up wasting it. It all went according to plan, I drilled out the seat with a ball burr and then remembered something I'd read on here about levelling the seat off with an inverted cone burr, or a wheel burr. I just wanted to ask what the best size would be to get, and a good place to get them from? I'm setting 4mm cabs at the mo but it seems pretty much impossible to find a 4mm inverted cone burr! Would a smaller size work?

Thanks!

Wallace
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Hi Claire,

for a 4mm and smaller, you can grind down your ball burrs to make them half burrs and use them to help. The half burr will not cut underneath only to the sides where it touches. I just use a ball burr or a setting burr, even with cabochons as either work well. Just go slowly, keep checking your depth and use some lube to stop any 'chatter' (jagged marks that can be left by burrs).

Claire D
05-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Wallace - how do I grind down a ball burr please? Sounds quite serious and not sure I will have the right tools for that!

Wallace
05-05-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks Wallace - how do I grind down a ball burr please? Sounds quite serious and not sure I will have the right tools for that!

you can use one of those little separating discs - usually come in a box of many! They can get quite hot, so go slowly and dip your burr in water to keep it cool as you take off the metal.

edit, I think Cookies sell them, they fit onto a screw on mandrel and are a reddish colour. They are quite fragile, and probably why they are sold in a box of many. I have found some (which I thought I might not). PM me your address and I will send a few out on Thursday

Dennis
05-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Yes it is quite importat to get a good seat for small cabochons, as they have a habit of turning upside down during setting.

I find these burrs useful for perfecting the seat after using a ball burr, partly because they also give an idea of depth. As they are fairly expensive, I turn them by hand using a universal handle:

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/fraizer-fig-412-wheel-head-please-select-size

Universal handle; Cookson999AZM. Dennis

Claire D
05-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Ah, yes that's what I was looking for thanks Dennis. Could you give me any idea of the size I'd need for 4mm cabs? Do I need to try and match the burr size to the stone size?

Thanks.

Dennis
05-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes Claire, make a start with a ball burr which can be slightly big, but not inserted to its middle. Then go for the setting burr to match the stone. if you turn it by hand with a tiny amount of oil, it will be very accurate.

I hope you are using callipers too, because stones of a nominal size will vary slightly. Dennis

Claire D
05-05-2015, 09:31 PM
Yes I had discovered a while ago that two 4mm turquoise cabs were in fact more like 4.5mm! I am checking the sizes of everything now, and it's quite surprising how much they do vary (annoyingly). I quite like using a burr in a pin vice for finishing off, feels like I'm a bit more in control of it. I'll try and get some of those wheel burrs and let you know how I get on.

mikethejeweller
30-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Excellent tip regarding grinding down a ball burr, never heared of that before but that could be perfect for certain jobs. I have one or two of those burrs from Walsh, they also come in handy now and again.

janiebyford
25-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Can anyone help me. I am trying to set 3 cm opal cabouchon said into a silver bangle. I would like to use a gypsy setting and have been practising with absolutely no success. Any tips from anyone or should I try a different setting technique ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ajda
25-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Do you mean 3 cm or mm?

silverlining
25-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Can anyone help me. I am trying to set 3 cm opal cabouchon said into a silver bangle. I would like to use a gypsy setting and have been practising with absolutely no success. Any tips from anyone or should I try a different setting technique ?

3cm?! Or 3mm? Is your silver thick enough?

I've never gypsy set anything that big tbh

Could you back set it instead?

janiebyford
25-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I meant 3 mm wide. I mm deep. My bangle is 2 cm deep so it should work. What am I doing wrong?

janiebyford
25-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Ps I am a novice, what is back setting and how do y do it?

Dennis
25-07-2015, 02:33 PM
When setting stones into bangles and bracelets, they are easily dislodged by flexing and knocks, so they need to be firmly set.
The 3mm cab will be best set using a short bit of tubing. Gipsy setting of cabs increases with difficulty if the sides are very sloping, because it is difficult to move enough metal without making a mess and having weak retention. It is mostly used for faceted stones, which end up flush (hence it is also called flush setting).

Backsetting, or setting from the back, can be done by making a hole which is marginally too small, inserting the stone from the back and keeping it in place with lugs, tubing, or spurs made with a scorper.

It is not possible here to teach stone setting to beginners, because of the lengthy instructions required. At best we can help with trouble shooting, once you get some idea.

The best advice is to look at books or U tube and practice with cheap stones and cheap metal such as CZs and copper. Dennis.

janiebyford
27-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Really helpful I'll try again and post pictures of the results thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk