PDA

View Full Version : recommendations please on bangle mandrel choice!

Sammyjean
05-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Hi!
I would appreciate any thoughts and recommendations on choosing a bangle forming mandrel. Wooden ones presumably are for forming around but wouldn't be good for applying textures like hammering.. I saw the Proops stepped ones on eBay, around £20 ..seem very cheap compared to cooksons ones. I remember reading on here that a mandrel with a very steep angle can make life difficult when making wider bangles. (My Dad is buying this for my birthday) Anyway thanks in advance for any comments!

Sam

Goldsmith
05-05-2015, 12:38 PM
Sam, you can get the Proops one on Amazon for £24 with free delivery; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Oval-bangle-mandrel/dp/B00A7PGC2I/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1430829382&sr=1-1&keywords=bangle+mandrel

James

Sammyjean
05-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Thanks James,
Sam

Dennis
05-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Deat Sam, If you are applying textures by whatever means, it would be best to do so while the strip is flat. It can then be rounded on a mandrel partly by finger pressure and partly with a soft mallet.

For soft mallets read, nylon headed or a hide one with the face made wet.

You are right in avoiding ones with too steep a taper. In fact some people make do with a hardwood rolling pin. Dennis.

Sammyjean
05-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks Dennis. I hadn't heard the tip about wetting the hide hammer head too, ta.
Sam